Monday, October 15, 2007

Speculative Fiction Challenge

Okay, my willpower, as you discovered, was nonexistent. I knew this one was hopeless from the moment I read about it this morning. But I held out for over six hours...which has to count a teeny tiny little bit.

My path is A Theoretical Handbook for the Unseasoned Speculator. Why this path? Well, I like variety. I don't want to just read one genre of speculative fiction. I want a little bit of everything.

My books.

Compatible with the Cardathon challenge and my mini-Inklings challenge:

The Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis (all seven books is my goal for 2008, but a few for this challenge by the April 1 deadline would be great.)
The Lord of the Rings (trilogy) by J.R.R. Tolkien (It is one of my 2008 goals to get to this trilogy. I'd be happy to get in one by the April deadline. We'll just have to wait and see what happens.)
Inkheart and Inkspell by Cornelia Funke are books that I've said I'd read for the Bibliography challenge which ends December 31rst. So I better get to them soon! Although I suppose there could be worse things than dropping out of a challenge.
Pastwatch: The redemption of Christopher Columbus by Orson Scott Card is one I'd love to get to for this challenge. (alternative history/science fiction)
Enchantment by Orson Scott Card (fantasy)
I'll probably add more Card titles to the list if I have time. We'll just have to see what says "read me, read me" when I go to the shelves.
I'd love to get to a Ray Bradbury book or two for this challenge.
And I'd love to get to an Isaac Asimov book as well.
And George R.R. Martin. I've been meaning to read some of his stuff.
And Neil Gaiman.

We'll just have to see what happens. Some depends on how much time I have. Some depends on my local library. And most depends on my mood. But I'll read at least six books. I just don't know exactly which six books. But this is a likely starting place for those six.

2 comments:

Debi said...

6 hours, Becky! I'm impressed! I'm going to shoot for 8 hours...

Seriously, this does sound like a fun one!

Becky said...

Debi:

I'm hoping some of my friends will join in the madness of this one :) It really is too fun to resist!