Tuesday, April 08, 2008

Announcing the Arthurian Reading Challenge



The Arthurian Challenge

When: April 2008 through March 2009

Where: Becky's Very-Own Arthurian Challenge blog

Goal: To read 6-12 books starring characters found in or inspired by Arthurian legends. (King Arthur, Guinevere, Lancelot, Merlin, Lady of the Lake, etc.)

How: To sign up, leave a comment on this post. It’s quick and simple. Just announce your intention to participate.

Rules: I don’t really believe in having many rules.

No lists are necessary. You can change your mind on WHAT you reading or should that be WHO you’re reading at any time.

If at any time you dislike a book, then feel free to discard it and pick up another. Don’t feel obligated to push through a book you don’t like on my account!!!

What about movies? What about graphic novels? What about comics? What about audio books? Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. All of those things count. So though it says 6-12 books. It can be a variety of things--book, movie, tv show, comic book, graphic novel, etc.

Kids books. YA books. Adult books. All count.

What about reviews? I’ll be doing Mr. Linky most likely. If not, I’ll do it the old fashioned way. You can leave a link if you’ve got a blog. Or you could write a review in the comments. This could be a sample review for those hesitant to write and share. “I read The Sword in the Stone. I liked it. Would recommend to others.” It can be really short and sweet and simple. Title of the book. Name of the author. A few adjectives describing how you felt about it. If you enjoyed it. It’s so not a big deal.

Don't know where to begin? Here are some links that might help.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh oh oh me for sure! I love Arthurian books and have a stack I want to read anyway. Consider me signed up. I am randomly really excited about this. Thanks for making my day!

Ana S. said...

You are killing us with all these challenges, Becky :P This is too good to pass.

The Bookworm said...

sounds like fun, count me in :)
http://thebookworm07.blogspot.com/

Melissa said...

Oh, I'm a sucker for Arthur books. I'll probably join in. But give me a day or two to come up with a list. (Oh, can I count Mary Stewart's Merlin trilogy as three books?)

Becky said...

Welcome to Rhinoa, Nymeth, Naida, and most-probably Melissa. :) I'm so excited to be hosting this challenge. I've never really paid much attention to this genre of books before, but reading two in a row really inspired me to seek these kinds of books out! If you have any suggestions for me or any suggestions for other newbies, feel free to share!

Petunia said...

How am I supposed to avoid committing to too many reading challenges if y'all keep coming up with such good choices? Actually our homeschool will be studying this time period for school next year and I will need to read these types of books in the summer in preparation so I may as well sign up. Just a quick look on the shelves tells me I have at least 4 books and I'm sure I have more if I look a little closer. Count me in.

RuthR said...

Count me in too please. Arthurian books are my absolute favourite, and I haven't read one in ages. This will be a good excuse to go out and buy more. :)

Anonymous said...

Oh I have many suggestions! I might put up a post on my site of the Arthurian books I have read and which were my favourites and why.

Kim said...

Count me in! Here is the link to my page and my post:

http://pageafterpage-kim.blogspot.com/


http://pageafterpage-kim.blogspot.com/2008/04/arthurian-reading-challenge.html

goldguardie said...

Can I take part in this as well, or is it too late to sign up?

Anonymous said...

Can I take part as well? http://www.emeraldfiresromancespot.blogspot.com