Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Defining "Good"

Good is one of the most ambiguous words, yet one that is hard for a reader and/or a reviewer to escape. It's a multi-purpose word. And it can mean whatever you want it to mean, essentially. But it's hard to sometimes convey your intended meaning with the interpreted meaning sometimes. The context is key, of course, but it's still a slippery word.

Good can mean average, better than average, or slightly better than average.
Good can be a polite form of "it's okay."
Good can mean enjoyable or pleasurable.
Good can mean it's worth your time and/or money.
Good can mean that it's something you'd feel comfortable recommending.


There are good books that are "good" because they're junk, they're fluffy, they're predictable, they're formulaic, they're just right. There are books that are like potato chips and candy bars. They're good in that comforting and indulging and satisfying way.

But sometimes good is followed by silent and implied partners. Words like "but" and "enough." Good isn't necessarily good all the time.

It's good but not great.
It's good but not for me--it's not my kind of book.
It's good (objectively, quality, style) but not one that I connected with or enjoyed.
It's good but not something I'd want to read again.
It's good but not enjoyable, not comfortable.
It's good but a little disappointing. I was hoping for more. Wanting more.
It's good but not timeless. It's here today, gone tomorrow. Not worth keeping in print.

It's good enough that I finished.
It's good enough to read once. (But it's forgettable.)
It's good enough for a library read. (But I wouldn't want to spend my own money on it.)
It's good enough for a light and fluffy read. (But lacks substance and quality.)
It's good enough that I'd want to read the sequel.
It's good enough that I'd read that author again.
It's good enough to spend your time on. (But it's not an award-winning, life-changing, must-read.)
It's good enough that you're not embarrassed by it, ashamed to be seen reading it or discussing it, but it's not making your top hundred any time soon.

Good doesn't necessarily correlate with a book being quality (literature, literary worth) or being popular. It can mean either. It can mean both.

The problem with words like "good" or even words like "like" and "love" and "enjoy" is that they can be so bogged down in the subjective that they have little objective value. Recommendations and reviews whether given on a blog, an Amazon (or other bookseller site) or in person, are always going to be subjective and personal.

I've found this to be true, and maybe you have as well. But sometimes it all comes down to being in the right time and place for a book. Your reaction, your personal reaction--love, hate, like, dislike, whatever--is sometimes dependent on all of the little small (and sometimes moody) details of your life. Your state of mind, your expectations, your mood, your atmosphere. A book may not be working for you when you first pick it up. Sometimes you just have to put it down and go with something else that is. Then hopefully a week or a month or six months later you can go back and have it be the moment for that book. I don't like to force a book. It's never a good idea to force a book. It definitely doesn't do the author much justice. Though sometimes, especially if this 'disconnect' happens more than once, it might be the book. Might. It's usually in these cases where I then look up reviews online to see if I'm the only one having trouble getting into the book. Am I the only one feeling that way, responding that way. That can let me know if it's me or the book.

© Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

3 comments:

Jeane said...

Those kind of qualified "good" books you mentioned above are the ones that get a "3/5" in my rating system. Ones that don't need a silent qualifier get 4's and up. I have many times found that a book may be "good" but I am just too distracted, tired, etc at the moment to properly get into it. These sit on my shelf to be tried again later, and often I am pleasantly surprised to like it much better the second time! Enjoyment of books (and thus my response/rating of them) can be so, so very subjective!

Anonymous said...

It is, so far, the only thing Orson Scott Card and I agree on besides "ENDER IS AWESOME" because we'd have a glare match over anything else: "No book can survive a hostile reading."

He said it in an article, or a speech; I'm sorry I don't have citations for you, but I always thought it spoke true.

Debi said...

Wonderful post, Becky! You really nailed down why I hate writing book reviews. Because I hate to think that I might discourage anyone from reading something, simply because I might not have been in the right frame of mind when I read it. (And I also hate the idea that I might cause someone to go spend their hard-earned money on a book that they end up hating.)