Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Herding Cats Challenge Update

This list is subject to change. Mostly subject to grow as the master list grows. As of 4/23/08, there are 416 books to choose from. It's only going to get larger as more and more people join the herd.

We're only required to read three books. But more, of course, are fine if you're a bit on the obsessed side. This is my narrowed-down-thinking-about-it list

Watership Down (prpl_pen) by Richard Adams. (I might choose this one since it's on the Mythopoeic (sp?) Challenge list. Crossovers can be a good thing!)
Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte (Though I can't look at it without smirking about a student that called it Jane Airy.)
Possession by A.S. Byatt (Might choose this one since it's on my Book Awards Challenge.)
Enchantment by Orson Scott Card. (Might choose this once since it's on my Twisted Fairy Tale/Once Upon A Time II Challenge.)
The Three Musketeers
by Alexandre Dumas (trans. by Richard Pevear) (I haven't read this new translation. And it looks like fun. In fact, I've got it checked out right now.)
A Room With A View by E.M. Forster (I did just see the movie. This might be fun.)
Howards End
by E. M. Forster
American Gods
by Neil Gaiman
An Abundance of Katherines
by John Green (This would work for the Printz Challenge...)
The Disreputable History of Frankie Landau-Banks by E. Lockhart
Anne of Green Gables
by L.M. Montgomery
Anne's House of Dreams
by L.M. Montgomery
The Time Traveler's Wife
by Audrey Niffenegger
Mister Monday
by Garth Nix
Sabriel
by Garth Nix
Island of the Blue Dolphin
by Scott O'Dell
Lord of the Rings
by J.R.R. Tolkien

4 comments:

Stephanie said...

Yeah...I'm afraid to even start picking my list! I just know when I do, someone else will post a list, then I'll just HAVE to read something from it! Damn. It's a never-ending cycle!

Defintely need to read American Gods though. One of my favorites!

Bellezza said...

I absolutely loved Island of The Blue Dolphins. I've read it to my classes several times, and it's based on a true story. It's so inspiring to read of her creativity and courage. I also loved Watership Down and The Time Traveler's Wife, just to voice my opinion on some of your choices.

Alix said...

I loved The time travellers wife, I think I cried for days every time I thought about it! Can't believe it didn't make my 10 actually but it was hard to choose.
I love you little heart linky things, very cool.
And of course Frankie is worth a read :)

Katherine said...

I signed up for the same challenge, and I must say that it was difficult for me to pick my books. I fanally forced myself to choose!