Friday, April 04, 2008

MotherReader's Big Announcement


MotherReader has announced plans for the THIRD ANNUAL 48 HOUR BOOK CHALLENGE. The challenge that asks you to give your all for 48 hours (during the weekend of June 6th through June 8th) in the hopes of besting the competition and winning a few prizes.

To sign up, you'll need to visit her blog and leave a comment. While you're there you're probably going to want to make a note of all the rules and guidelines.

  1. The weekend is June 6–8, 2008. Read and blog for any 48-hour period within the Friday-to-Monday-morning window. Start no sooner than 7:00 a.m. on Friday the sixth and end no later than 7:00 a.m. Monday. So, go from 7:00 p.m. Friday to 7:00 p.m. on Sunday... or maybe 7:00 a.m. Saturday to 7:00 a.m. Monday works better for you. But the 48 hours do need to be in a row.

  2. The books should be about fifth-grade level and up. Adult books are fine, especially if any adult book bloggers want to play. If you are generally a picture book blogger, consider this a good time to get caught up on all those wonderful books you’ve been hearing about. No graphic novels. I’m not trying to discriminate, I’m just trying to make sure that the number of books and page counts mean the same thing to everyone.
  3. For promotion/solidarity purposes, let your readers know when you are starting the challenge with a specific entry on that day. Write your final summary on Monday, and for one day, we’ll all be on the same page, so to speak.
  4. Your final summary needs to clearly include the number of books read, the approximate hours you spent reading/reviewing, and any other comments you want to make on the experience. It needs to be posted no later than noon on Monday, June 9th.
There are three other rules on her post. I'm just copying the ones relevant to me. That is the ones I'll need to refer back on when the big weekend comes.

It's time to start thinking strategy. Last year, my first twenty-four hours went great, but the second day I made some huge tactical errors when it came to book selection.

It's really too bad we can't do this challenge as a team. Imagine. A reading challenge like a relay race.

3 comments:

Dewey said...

Maybe you should make your own relay reading challenge! I would join.

I did this last year and enjoyed it. I'm just going to wait and see this year if it's a good weekend for me. I really want to, though!

Last year, I did not catch the suggestion that books be at a fifth grade level, so I made mistakes in book choice, too. :)

I wish she would allow adult/teen graphic novels for adults who are reading adult nonfiction or adult novels, too. It would be nice to be able to have that balance, a break, I guess. Though of course readers of adult books could also balance with kidlit! It's not important enough to make a fuss over, I guess. I just love graphic novels. :)

Becky said...

Last year was definitely an experience. As was the 24 Hour Challenge. :) Both were insanely fun enough that I'd happily volunteer for repeats.

My tactical error was tackling The Worthing Saga by Orson Scott Card. I loved the book. But it was 480 pages. It's an adult book and it gets philosophical and deep at times so it wasn't a breeze-through reading. It engaged the mind fully and was so-not-fluff. Lighter fare would have helped me stay competitive I imagine!!!

As for a relay reading challenge, I'll think about it. I'm not sure at the moment how I could/would organize it. (How many per team, would people pick their own teams, would the teams be based on time zones, would it be for 24 or 48 hours, etc.) But it's something that the possibility excites me.

MotherReader said...

"Tactical errors." That cracked me up.

Dewey, I don't have anything against graphic novels, but it makes it harder to judge numbers of books and page counts in terms of the contest. For that purpose it's comparing apples and oranges.