Friday, May 30, 2008

The Latent Powers of Dylan Fontaine


Lurie, April. 2008. The Latent Powers of Dylan Fontaine.

Wow. Wow. Super-wow. You must read this book. I really really enjoyed April Lurie's first book, Brothers, Boyfriends, and Other Criminal Minds though it never did get the proper review since I reviewed it while I had the flu. (Here it is in its entirety: You'll just have to take my word for it that it is fabulous. Set in 1978, it is the story of one girl--her friends, her family, her neighborhood. It all works. It's just a good, good, thoroughly enjoyable book.) I didn't think it would be possible to love this next book even more. But I was wrong. Oh so wrong. I just loved and adored THE LATENT POWERS OF DYLAN FONTAINE.

I know I can't do it justice. It's one of those books that you'll just have to discover for yourself. But I can try. The writing, the characterization, everything is just so so so good. Dylan's narration of the novel is just oh-so-perfect. As a reader I just fell in love with him, his family, his friends. Dylan's life is far from perfect, far from ideal. He's going through a lot--and I do mean a lot--we first meet him in a jail cell. But it isn't what you think, not really. Yes, he stole two packages of Fruit-of-the-Loom underwear, but really...there's a good explanation for his crime.

Read for yourself all about Dylan in this wonderfully brilliant all-too-human coming-of-age novel.

Family. Friendship. Love. Life. The good. The bad. The ugly. Full of hope, full of wit, full of authentic and unforgettable characters. THE LATENT POWERS OF DYLAN FONTAINE has it all.

First sentence: I can tell you from experience that a jail cell is not a place you'd like to visit.

April Lurie's blog
April Lurie's web site

© Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

6 comments:

Chris 8:30 PM  

Well this one's going straight onto the wishlist! Sounds excellent and I really love the cover of it. hmmm...future book group read???

Patricia 9:57 PM  

I'm new to blogging and new to your site. "Dylan Fontaine" sounds fun and I will be adding it to my never-ending list of books to find. Thanks

colourmebrown 6:43 AM  

Nice review becky! Keep up the good works!

Becky 6:01 PM  

Chris, I think you'd enjoy. And I'd be happy to consider this one for the book group at some point. I'll include it in one of the next polls. Part of me is wondering, and I'll ask this of the group at some point during the summer, if I should try to stick to books that are widely available in libraries and/or are available in paperbacks. Or if I should have a mix. Like, The Host, is brand new...but the interest was so high...I just HAD to do it now. I couldn't wait a year. But with all of my other titles, I've always thought ahead as to what would be convenient and affordable.

But back to the book in hand, I loved this book. And I think you would enjoy it as well. It's just so well done. And all the characters are so interestingly and authentically drawn. :)

Matt,  2:49 PM  

Excellent book, I read it in just a few days, one of the best books I have ever read!

Anonymous,  3:59 AM  

Hello! My name is Antonio, and I live in Seville, Spain (I apologize in advance for my english). It's the second time I get into your blog, and I really like the way you describe books. Not many spanish writers/journalist/book lovers happen to write in such a clear and thoughtful way, actually encouraging people to read. I love movies too and, in a way, your blog reminds me of Cameron Crowe's world and interests. I will surely buy April Lurie's first novel, and then go on from there.
Thank you in advance, and keep on the good work!!!

Post a Comment

I'm always happy to hear from you! To help fight spam, comment moderation has been set up for posts older than two days. Feel free to ask me questions or ask for recommendations!

Unique Visitors and Google PR Rank

Free PageRank Checker

Pageloads Counter

The background is based on a background I found here...with some small adjustments on my part so it would work with the template.
Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

  © Blogger template Newspaper III by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP