Thursday, June 26, 2008

Btt: Defining Readers

btt button

What, in your opinion, is the definition of a “reader.” A person who indiscriminately reads everything in sight? A person who reads BOOKS? A person who reads, period, no matter what it is? … Or, more specific? Like the specific person who’s reading something you wrote?

A reader is someone who loves to read. It's not someone who merely can read. It's not someone who reads on occasion. A reader is someone who loves to read, who needs to read. Someone who makes reading a priority in their lives. It's not just being literate. The mere ability to read. Reading is a way of life for a reader.

A reader cannot go days without a book. If you can go weeks or months without picking up a book, I'm questioning your "reader" status.

That's not to say that readers can't take breaks when life gets in the way. But if they take breaks and don't miss reading, don't lament their own lack of reading, then maybe they're not as much a reader as they thought. The desire to read must come through even if the follow through isn't always as strong.

© Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wholeheartedly agree with your assessment of not going days without a book.

SmilingSally said...

I've gone days, but I've lamented the loss.

Trixie said...

I completely agree with you that it's the desire to read something, anything that is important.

Stephanie said...

Nice answer!! I think all "readers" will agree with you!!

I just finished The Host for your End of the World Challenge. Such a wonderful book. I was sad to see it end!

Laura H said...

I have often meant people that LOVE to read, but only read a book once a month or so???? If I dont have a book wainting to be read I get a little nervous.