Thursday, May 28, 2009

2-in-1 Booking Through Thursday

btt button

For May 28, 2009: Is there a book that you wish you could “unread”? One that you disliked so thoroughly you wish you could just forget that you ever read it?
For May 21, 2009: What book would you love to be able to read again for the first time?

"Unread"

Definitely a trilogy by Phillipa Gregory. I believe the order of the books is Wideacre, The Favored Child, and Meridon. These books aren't only deviantly disturbing--imagine the worst and then multiply it a couple of times, and just when you think you've sunk as low as you can go, go some more.) There's not any redeeming qualities in these books. These books are masquerading as historical fiction, but they're trash plain and simple. (And I'm not alone, the book has 66 one star ratings on Amazon, 26 two stars, 24 three stars, 26 4 stars, and 57 five stars.)

"Reread"

It would be awesome if I could read Gone With The Wind with fresh eyes. I almost wish that there was a 'refresh' button that you could push before starting the novel that would erase the movie from your memory. Completely. It's not that I hate the movie. I wouldn't go that far. But it's not the book. It gets so many things wrong. And I think people often mistake the two. Think they're more similar than they actually are. I think people assume that the book is like the movie, and it isn't. If you've only seen the movie, then you don't know the half of it. Not that I'm cranky. I'm not. Well, maybe a little.

© Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow!!! I guess I'm putting Wideacre, The Favored Child, and Meridon on my NTBR list. (never to be read)

Anonymous said...

I became curious - I see what you mean:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wideacre

One to avoid - definitely! L.

Ms. Yingling said...

If any of your readers would like to win a three book set of Patrick Carman's Atherton series, I am giving one away on my blog, MsYinglingReads. Thanks!

Linda said...

reading your comments about GWTW, and I totally agree - it would be wonderful to read again for the first time. A similar book in relationship to its film adaptation is Lonesome Dove, great film, even better book.

Jess said...

yeah, I am not a fan of P. Gregory either -- good choice.

Anonymous said...

I agree about Gone With the Wind. I loved it and was sooooo disappointed the first time I saw the movie. I've come to accept the movie for what it is, but the book hits on so many things missing in the movie. I'd love to have it as a fresh read as an adult, since I first read it in high school.