Wednesday, May 27, 2009

More Waiting on Wednesday


Because I just couldn't wait until next Wednesday:


A Monster's Notes by Laurie Sheck.

The description as found on Amazon:

What if Mary Shelley had not invented Frankenstein’s monster but had met him when she was a girl of eight, sitting by her mother’s grave, and he came to her unbidden? What if their secret bond left her forever changed, obsessed with the strange being whom she had discovered at a time of need? What if he were still alive in the twenty-first century?

This bold, genre-defying book brings us the “monster” in his own words. He recalls how he was “made” and how Victor Frankenstein abandoned him. He ponders the tragic tale of the Shelleys and the intertwining of his life with that of Mary (whose fictionalized letters salt the narrative, along with those of her nineteenth-century intimates) in this riveting mix of fact and poetic license. He takes notes on all aspects of human striving—from the music of John Cage to robotics to the Northern explorers whose lonely quest mirrors his own—as he tries to understand the strange race that made yet shuns him, and to find his own freedom of mind.

In the course of the monster’s musings, we also see Mary Shelley’s life from her childhood through her elopement with Percy Bysshe Shelley, her writing of Frankenstein, the births and deaths of her children, Shelley’s famous drowning, her widowhood, her subsequent travels and life’s work, and finally her death from a brain tumor at age fifty-four. The monster’s fierce bond with Mary and the tale of how he ended up in her fiction is a haunted, intense love story, a story of two beings who can never forget each other.

A Monster’s Notes is Sheck’s most thrilling work to date, a luminous meditation on creativity and technology, on alienation and otherness, on ugliness and beauty, and on our need to be understood.

I really, really want to get my hands on this one. I wonder if the publishers know how very very much I love me some monster. I mean, Frankenstein is only one of my favorite, favorite books of all times.

AngelMonster by Veronica Bennet

How I Came To Love A Monster: A Rambling Review of Mary Shelley's Frankenstein

Wildly Romantic by Catherine M. Andronik






© Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

5 comments:

Ana S. said...

Want, want, want! That sounds too awesome for words.

Carrie said...

Sounds fantastic!! Great pick!!

Shooting Stars Mag said...

Oh wow, this does sound good. To be honest, I wasn't really a fan of Frankenstein but the idea behind the story is still very intriguing to me so I think this would be worth reading.

-Lauren

Zibilee said...

This book sounds amazing! I really want to get my hands on a copy as well.

Amanda said...

Ok. I too am a huge Frankenstein and Mary Shelley fan. I'll have to get this one too.