Sunday, December 27, 2009

Sunday Salon: Reading, Read, To Read #52

The last Sunday of the year. Wow. It seems impossible that a whole year has gone by! But it's been a good one, so no complaints from me. Are you excited about the new year? I am. I always get a little thrill when the new year starts. It's not so much that I'm all about new resolutions. Though I do like making reading resolutions (and blogging ones). It's just that I like the idea of starting over, of starting fresh. (Like Anne Shirley and her "tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it yet...") That and I love making best-of lists. And signing up for new reading challenges. When I look back, I think reading challenges have made a HUGE difference in how I feel about the new year. That and the fact that I'm not in school anymore. January used to mean Christmas vacation was over. Now it means new reading challenges.

What I read in a previous week, but reviewed this week:

The Gift. Cecelia Ahern. 2009. HarperCollins. 304 pages.
Faith, Hope, and Ivy June. Phyllis Reynolds Naylor. 2009. Random House. 280 pages.
Gone From These Woods. Donny Bailey Seagraves. Random House. 178 pages.
Horrid Henry's Christmas. Francesca Simon. 2006/2009. Sourcebooks. 112 pages.
The Evolution of Calpurnia Tate by Jacqueline Kelly. 2009. Henry Holt. 352 pages.
Leaving the Bellweathers. Kristin Clark Venuti. 2009. Egmont USA. 244 pages.

What I read this past week and reviewed:

The Gift. Richard Paul Evans. 2007. Simon & Schuster. 335 pages
The Christmas List. Richard Paul Evans. 2009. Simon & Schuster. 368 pages.
Devil's Cub. Georgette Heyer. 1932/2009. Sourcebooks. 310 pages.

What I read this past week and haven't reviewed yet:

William S. and the Great Escape. Zilpha Keatley Snyder. Simon & Schuster. 214 pages.

What I've read and really, really need to review:

Calamity Jack. Shannon and Dean Hale. Illustrated by Nathan Hale. 2010. Bloomsbury. 144 pages (approx.) (Graphic Novel.)
The Extraordinary Mark Twain (According to Susy) by Barbara Kerley. 2010. Scholastic (Picture Book)
Lucky Breaks. Susan Patron. 2009. Simon & Schuster. 180 pages.
The Mostly True Adventures of Homer P. Figg. Rodman Philbrick. 2009. Scholastic. 224 pages.

What I'm currently reading:

The Fiddler's Gun by A.S. Peterson
The Blackstone Key by Rose Melikan

What I'm just fooling around that I'm reading:

Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card (I've decided to wait until the new year so it can count for the sci-fi experience)

What I've abandoned:

Brooklyn Nine by Alan Gratz

© Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

4 comments:

Deb Nance at Readerbuzz said...

It does seem like this year has gone fast!

I've planned out my challenges for next year.

I'm working on TBR books I want to read and my Best-Of list.

Ash said...

Ender's Game was one of my favorite books when I was younger. I hope you enjoy it when you get around to finishing it.

Care said...

Happy Reading and Blogging and NEW Shiny Goals. I love this time of year, too.

Book Dilettante said...

Wow! I'm impressed by your reading prowess and list of books! Happy New Year of reading.