Friday, January 01, 2010

What Should I Read Next?


Welcome to the special New Year's edition of "What Should I Read Next?" I am currently reading a few books. And it's likely that it is one of these that will be the very first book read in the new year. But. I want to know what you think I should read next...

A. From two thousand feet, where Claudette Sanders was taking a flying lesson, the town of Chester's Mill gleamed in the morning light like something freshly made and just set down.
B. When I was sixteen, I was given a cloak made entirely of feathers.
C. Hast thou found me, O mine enemy?
D. My name is Andrew Zansky.

All four would be by new-to-me authors: Stephen King (I never did make it through The Stand though I do want to one day), Betsy Tobin, Sam Taylor, and Allen Zadoff. (The titles: Under the Dome, Ice Land, The Island At The End of the World, and Food, Girls, And Other Things I Can't Have.)

© Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

15 comments:

Tina's Blog said...

I just started the Allen Zadoff book last night...my first book of 2010. I also want to read the new Stephen King book - I think I have only read one other of his- The Green Mile which was fabulous. So, I vote for D. I'd love to hear your thoughts on Food, Girls and Other Things I Can't Have.

Lenore Appelhans said...

I am going to vote A because I'd like to read this, but first I'd like to hear if it's worth the investment of more than 1000 pages!

Anonymous said...

My mom has sort of gone off Stephen King, but "Under the Dome" is supposed to be good.

She said...

B ! ! ! It just sounds like a whimsical and fun start to the new year. Watch it be sad and depressing now that I've said that though ;p

Anonymous said...

I've heard good things about D. However, if you don't mind a long, long book, I'd go for A. I am a longtime Stand lover and I'm looking forward to another really long SK book. Hope it's worth it.

Anonymous said...

I'd go with Stephen King's book. Hear it's fantastic and it's on my wish list.

Happy New Year!! :)

Little Bird said...

My vote would be for "The Island At The End of the World." But mostly for selfish reasons because I've been considering it every time I see it on the shelf at my library, and I'd love to read a review on it.

Lisalit said...

I would say Under the Dome because King is almost always a good read. But the opening line of Ice Land sure sounds intriguing!

Robin M said...

I would go with Under the Dome. I have it in my tbr pile and looking forward to reading it.

Unknown said...

HMM, I wouldn't go w/ Under the Dome, too long for a first read of the year. The first line from B totally intrigues me, as does the title of D. Looking forward to see what you pick and what you think of it.

mariel said...

The Island at the End of the World gets my vote. I read a review of it by Patrick Ness (Knife of Never Letting Go) in the guardian newspaper and was very intrigued!

Michelle said...

I enjoyed Food, Girls and Other Things I Can't Have a great deal. It's a nice fun light read.

(Diane) Bibliophile By the Sea said...

I vote for Under the Dome (I have that too). Enjoy whatever you choose Becky!

Unknown said...

I'm seriously tempted by Under the Dome myself, so I vote for that one!

chrisa511 said...

Definitely Under the Dome because I want to know if it's worth buying and I trust your opinion :p