Friday, May 14, 2010

Top Ten Picks: Books That Made You Love Reading


An interesting topic this week at Random Ramblings. Listing our top ten favorite books 'that made you discover your love for reading.' I am going to try my best not to just cut and paste from my must-read top ten list. Though there will be some crossover I think!

I wouldn't blame you if you skip to the list itself. But I wanted to provide *some* context. While I have always *loved* reading. I've loved in different intensities. And there was a time when reading wasn't my first activity of choice. (Or even in my top five if I'm being honest.) Yes, I loved reading as a child, but it wasn't until I was a little older that I became so in love with reading.

The Long Winter by Laura Ingalls Wilder. I love this series. I do. I'm not saying it's perfect. (I know it's not.) But I read and reread this series growing up. And The Long Winter is probably my favorite of the series.

Ramona the Pest by Beverly Cleary. Is this my favorite of the series? Maybe. I'd probably go back and forth a couple of times if I *had* to pick an absolute favorite. I love Ramona Quimby. I do. I just love her. When I was rereading these a few years ago I was surprised at just how many details I remembered. Anyway, if you haven't discovered these Ramona books yet, you should definitely give them a try!

The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis. The FIRST of the series. I'm sorry, I don't care. It IS the first of the series. I just don't think Magician's Nephew has the strength, the power, to make readers want to read this series. (Not that it's the weakest of the books. But still.)

Winnie the Pooh and The House at Pooh Corner by A.A. Milne. Because every one needs to know what ther means. There is nothing like reading Pooh. I mean, I enjoy the Disney film for what it is. But oh-the-joy of reading the original Pooh, the classic Pooh. The stories, the characters, the hums (and yes, I can sing almost all of them) they're just too good to miss.

Gone With The Wind by Margaret Mitchell. There was a time when I would say without a doubt that this was my absolute favorite book. I loved Scarlett. I loved Rhett. I loved the passionate stubbornness of their love. While I wouldn't say I feel exactly the same way I do now as I did when I first read it (and loved it) as a teen, I still think it's a book that everyone needs to try. Don't be fooled, the book is NOT the movie!

Anne of Green Gables by L.M. Montgomery. I love, love, love L.M. Montgomery. And I think I read most of her books when I was a teen. Some I read many, many times. Like this one. There's a beautiful sadness about it.



Jacquelyn by Jeffie Ross Gordon. This is just one of the teen romances in the Sunfire Romance series published by Scholastic in the 80s. Oh how I love this series! I remember reading and rereading so many of these. (Though I don't have a complete set. And one or two of them that I did have at one point have since gone missing. I'm still very sad about that.) I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to see these reprinted!!!

Savannah by Eugenia Price. Along with Gone With The Wind, Eugenia Price is one reason why I love historical fiction. I love long books. I do. And Price definitely knew how to do oh-so-satisfying books of this sort. Savannah is the first in a series.

Mandy by Julie Edwards. I'm not sure how familiar this title is with readers now. But I love, love, loved this one growing up. Mandy is an orphan that I just loved spending time with. And it didn't disappoint when I reread it as an adult.

The Gymnasts series by Elizabeth Levy. I don't know how many books there were in total for this series--but I had the first ten. And I loved them. I did. I loved them more than the Babysitter's Club. (I did read BSC. I just didn't love them as much as this series.)

ETA: I CAN'T believe I forgot Charlie and the Chocolate Factory! Bother, bother. Well, it HAS to be on this list too!

© Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

8 comments:

Kelly Jensen said...

I haven't thought about the gymnasts series in forever, but it was DEFINITELY one of my all-time favs as a kid. More than BSC for me, too!

Anamaria (bookstogether) said...

This is a great list, Becky! Lots of favorites on it (Laura, Ramona, Anne, Narnia) but I was especially pleased to see Mandy--one of my best beloved favorite books.

Full Color Business Card said...

When I was a kid my mom would always bring home some children's book for me. I think she did not realize that some of this books contain Edgar Allan Poe's work. That started my fascination with books.

I usually go for Asian novels, it interesting to learn more about their history and culture.

Phillip H. Tang said...

I have to disagree - The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe was not the best in the series: The Magicians Nephew, The Last Battle, and Prince Caspian were all better in my opinion.

Janssen said...

Ramona and Laura Ingalls Wilder were among my favorites too. What a great list!

Lesa said...

Great list! I have Laura and Ramona mentioned on my list as well. Really all these are favorites of mine except I'm not familiar with the Sunfire romances, Gymnasts or Mandy. Wonder how I missed Mandy-- maybe it came out after my childhood.

Tina's Blog said...

I'm laughing to myself because a few weeks ago we ran across the Gymnasts series at a used book store and bought everyone they had - simply because my daughters take gymnastics. I had never heard of this series. I also love Ramona and Laura Ingalls Wilder and the Sunfire romances. I would add The Girls of Canby Hall to my list! :)

Deb Nance at Readerbuzz said...

Interesting that you didn't come to love reading until a bit later in life. Nice to know that can happen.

Anne and Gone with the Wind are two big favorites of mine. I love the main characters' passion for living.

Still working on my list....