Sunday, May 09, 2010

Top Ten Picks: Favorite Love Stories of All Time


Top Ten Picks is hosted at Random Ramblings. This week's topic is favorite love stories of all time. In NO order here are my top ten.

Benedick and Beatrice. Much Ado About Nothing. I love, love, love this Shakespeare play. I do. I also love, love, love the movie. In my review, I stated: "Much Ado About Nothing is a glorious little play that almost makes me giddy."

Rhett and Scarlett. Gone With The Wind. I don't love this one for the unhappy ending. (I'm not one of those that think a love story is only a love story if it ends badly.) I love it in spite of the unhappy ending. I love it because no matter how many times I read it, I still get all giggly when Rhett proposes to Scarlett.

Anne and Captain Wentworth. Persuasion. This one is my favorite Austen. Sure Elizabeth Bennet is a good heroine, but does anyone ever doubt that she has everything it takes to win her man? Elizabeth is destined for a happily ever after it seems. Persuasion is about a woman that almost everyone has given up on. A woman who doesn't capture everyone's attention. A woman who feels invisible. And oh that love letter at the end. Wow. Wow. Wow.

Anne and Gilbert. Anne of the Island. I love the Anne books. Do I love them just because of the Anne-and-Gilbert magic? I don't know. It sure does help though. Whether Gilbert is the boy-Anne-absolutely-hates or the man she loves--secretly or not so secretly--I just love Gilbert period. I love how this relationship sees it all through the first three books. In a way. I think Gilbert has always only ever loved Anne. I think he loved her from the start. And I love her persistent, how true his love is for her. Anyway, the ending to Anne of the Island is oh-so-magical.

C.K. Dexter-Haven and Tracy Lord. High Society/Philadelphia Story. I love, love, love High Society. It has everything to love. Bing Crosby. Frank Sinatra. Louis Armstrong. Singing. Dancing. Everything. It has at least two great love songs--"You're Sensational" and "True Love." And Philadelphia Story has Cary Grant and James Stewart. See, just so much to love here.

Captain Von Trapp and Maria. The Sound of Music. Oh how I love this movie. I do. "Something Good" is something magical I tell you! I never get tired of this musical.

Giselle and Robert. Enchanted. This Disney movie makes me giddy. It has so many oh-so-magical moments. From the big sing-and-dance number in the park to the oh-so-emotional slow dance there at the end when he sings to her. Oh. So much to love. I love Robert's little girl too. I love her expression when Prince Edward breaks out into song.

Penelope and Colin. Romancing Mister Bridgerton. I love this series. But this is my favorite-and-best of the series. The books star the Bridgerton family--and it's a big family--eight siblings. (Each has their own romance novel. And they're all Regencies!!) Penelope is my favorite heroine by far. She has loved Colin Bridgerton for years and years and years. (He's her best friend's brother. Not that that is the reason why she's friends with Eloise.) But she never dreamed for one little second that he might one day open up his eyes and see her for who she really is.

Frederica and Lord Alverstoke. Frederica (by Georgette Heyer). I love Heyer. I do. And this couple is great fun!

Sam and Jack. Stargate SG-1. I love Stargate. I do. I could watch these episodes over and over and over again. (And I do.) I love Sam and Jack together. Not that they're ever together together. But still. The way they feel about each other is undeniable. Even if those three little words are never spoken.

© Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

5 comments:

Kals said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kals said...

I love your analysis of Wentworth and Anne :) And absolutely agree about the love letter, which is probably the best in English literature!

Jillian said...

Oh, "Something Good" is such a wonderful song! I love that movie; one of my all-time favorites -- I still watch it every once in a while. And I have to agree with Rhett and Scarlett, and Giselle and Robert! I loved Enchanted.

melissa @ 1lbr said...

Oh, I love those love stories! Some of my favorites on here. Anne and Gilbert. Sigh.

BookChook said...

Yes, Yes Yes! Frederica is one of my favourites and okay, maybe that couple just edge out Mary Chaloner and Vidal in Devil's Cub. I am another Jack and Sam fan and cannot understand why they stopped making the show - the spinoffs still don't do it for me. Anne and Gilbert. Maria and the Captain --- my eyes just lit up when I read your post! I really want to read Romancing Mr Bridgerton now, and yes, it just might be time to re-read Frederica once more.

Just checked my online library catalogue. We have two Quinn novels - The Further Observations of Lady W annd On the Way to the Wedding. Would it be better to get the first one instead thru Amazon?