Tuesday, December 27, 2011

2012 Challenges: European Reading Challenge

European Reading Challenge 2012
Hosted by Rose City Reader
January 1, 2012 - January 31, 2013

Essentially, "The idea is to read books by European authors or books set in European countries (no matter where the author comes from). The books can be anything – novels, short stories, memoirs, travel guides, cookbooks, biography, poetry, or any other genre. You can participate at different levels, but each book must be by a different author and set in a different country – it's supposed to be a tour."

I am signing up at the five-star (deluxe entourage) level:

1) His Name Was Raoul Wallenberg: Courage, Rescue, and Mystery During World War II. Louise Borden. (Sweden OR Hungary; NONFICTION)
2) My Family for the War. Anne C. Voorhoeve. (England OR Germany)
3) All Our Worldly Goods. Irene Nemirovsky. (France)
4) In the Garden of Beasts. Erik Larson. (Germany; NONFICTION)
5) Between Shades of Gray. Ruta Sepetys. (Lithuania)
6) Breaking Stalin's Nose. Eugene Yelchin. (Russia--Soviet Union)
7) Mascot: Unraveling the Mystery of My Jewish Father's Nazi Boyhood. Mark Kurzem. (Latvia/Belarus; NONFICTION)
8)  Smuggled by Christina Shea. (Romania/Hungary)
9) The Lost Wife by Alyson Richman (Czech Republic)
10) The Gathering Storm by Robin Bridges (Russia and Montenegro)
11) Gods and Warriors. Michelle Paver. (Greece)
12)  The Flight of Gemma Hardy. Margot Livesey. (Scotland/Iceland)


Right now, I'm thinking my countries will be: Great Britain, France, Russia, Sweden, and Italy. I am also thinking that I'll try to read more than that. That I might try to read ten books. Other countries I might visit include: Greece, Poland, Spain, Austria, Germany. Or Denmark, Hungary, Norway, Netherlands, Belgium. Of course, I might change my mind as to the countries. But I am SO EXCITED about this challenge!

© 2011 Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

2 comments:

Gilion at Rose City Reader said...

Thanks for signing up! 10 countries would be great! And put you in the running for the Jet Setter grand prize!

Happy reading!

cessie said...

I joined the European Reading Challenge as well and I'm browsing a little through the participant's list. I'm so interested in what everyone is reading for this challenge. You choose some interesting countries I think. I don't know it yet... will see on the go I guess.
So I will come back to learn more :)
Happy Reading!