Friday, August 30, 2013

R.I.P. VIII

Host: Carl at Stainless Steel Droppings
Name: R.I.P VIII (sign-up; sharing reviews)
Dates: September and October
# of Books: I'm signing up for Peril the Second, 2 books. I am really hoping to read 4 books (Peril the First), but, I'm not sure what I'll get read.

What I'm Planning on Reading:


I'm SUPER-EXCITED to be reading Rookwood by William Harrison Ainsworth (1834). Ever since discovering this addictive and giddy-making little video, I've wanted to read Rookwood. The book is described as gothic romance which definitely qualifies!

Other books I'm considering reading for the challenge:

  • William Shakespeare's Macbeth (because it's been a few years since I read it last)
  • Mary Shelley's Frankenstein (because I love it and it has been at least two years, I think!)
  • Drood by Dan Simmons (because I do love Dickens and Collins and I've been meaning to read this one for ages)
  • Charlotte Bronte's Jane Eyre (not sure I'll get to this one, but it is a favorite)
  • A Sicilian Romance by Ann Radcliffe (I've been wanting to read another Radcliffe, I really did enjoy Mysteries of Udolpho.)
What I Read:
1) Rookwood. William Harrison Ainsworth.
2) Fahrenheit 451. Ray Bradbury.
3) A Houseboat on the Styx. John Kendrick Bangs. 1895. 194 pages. [Source: Bought]

4) The Pursuit of the Houseboat Being Some Further Account of the Divers Doings of the Associated Shades. John Kendrick Bangs. 1897. 108 pages. [Source: Bought]
5) The Enchanted Typewriter. John Kendrick Bangs. 1899. 90 pages. [Source: Bought]
6) The Black Robe. Wilkie Collins. 1881. 320 pages. [Source: Bought]
7)  The Nine Lives of Alexander Baddenfield. John Bemelmans Marciano. Illustrated by Sophie Blackall. 2013. Penguin. 144 pages. [Source: Review Copy]
8) Dr. Jekyl and Mr. Hyde. Robert Louis Stevenson. 1886. 144 pages. [Source: Bought]
9) Drood. Dan Simmons. 2009. Little, Brown. 784 pages. [Source: Bought]


© 2013 Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

5 comments:

Susan said...

Happy book reading for the challenge, Becky! I hope you enjoy it. YOu have a lovely selection there, many of which I've read: Frankenstein (like it so much, and I always cry when William and Elizabeth are killed), Drood (which I also have on my shelf to read), Jane Eyre (love this one too!), and an Ann Radcliffe book. Plus a cool Shakespeare play! And all historical or set in historical periods :-) Were you doing this as a theme, by any chance?

Carl V. Anderson said...

Super to have you in again Becky, and your choices of things to read looks fantastic. Thanks for taking part with us for another year.

DesLily said...

Drood!! Hooray! love that book!

Cheryl @ Tales of the Marvelous said...

Macbeth, Frankenstein and Jane Eyre--all favorites for me too. :) Have fun!

Kailana said...

I have Drood. I really must read it one of these days...