Tuesday, February 02, 2016

Top Ten Tuesday: Historical Settings


Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and The Bookish
1. Regency England. I *tend* to love books set during the Regency period in England. Georgette Heyer wrote some GREAT romances set during this period. Also Anne Perry's William Monk mystery series is set at this time.

2. Victorian England. I *tend* to love books written by Victorians. (Think Anthony Trollope, Charles Dickens, Wilkie Collins, Elizabeth Gaskell, etc.) But I also tend to enjoy historical fiction set during this period.

3. World War II. If a book is set during World War II--in any country--chances are I'm going to be curious and willing to read it. That's not to say it's a guaranteed five stars! I have read hundreds of books set during this time period.

4. 1930s-1940s--England or America. Perhaps because of my interest in World War II, I do tend to read books set prior and directly after the war. 1930s fiction set in America is often focused on the Great Depression or the Dust Bowl or the like. And 1930s fiction set in England or Europe is about the political tension of the times.

5. Middle Ages. England. Think 15th and 16th centuries. Think SUNNE IN SPLENDOUR. I have read dozens of books about the War of Roses. And a handful on the Tudors (boo, hiss, Henry VII and Henry VIII).

6. Edwardian England. And World WAR I. While not "my favorite" historical period to read about, I have read some really good books set during this time period. And I am always on the look out for more!

7. Pioneer Stories. America. I love "going west" and "living out west" stories.

8. Georgian England. Some of Georgette Heyer's romances are set during this period. Also books like The Scarlet Pimpernel.

9. Scotland. I would love to see Edward Rutherfurd write a HUGE saga set in Scotland.

10.  France. I'm not sure if I like historical fiction set in France so much as I enjoy reading French classics like The Three Musketeers and Les Miserables. But I've reviewed a good handful of books set in France at various historical periods, so make the list it does!

© 2016 Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

No comments: