Tuesday, June 27, 2017

What's On Your Nightstand (June)


The folks at 5 Minutes For Books host What’s On Your Nightstand? the fourth Tuesday of each month in which we can share about the books we have been reading and/or plan to read.

I finished most of what I had on my nightstand last month. I finished the KJV Reformation Study Bible, Basic Christianity, Dawn's Early Light, Blood, Bullets, and Bones, The Portrait of a Lady, and 44 Scotland Street.


I've made a good deal of progress in Thomas Manton's Exposition of Psalm 119. I've started sharing from it at Operation Actually Read Bible. Right now, I'm sharing just on Thursdays, but I might increase that as the summer continues.

I have not made much more progress in Mallthew: All Authority in Heaven and On Earth. Douglas Sean O'Donnell. I think I've read two chapters since last month.

What's NEW.

The Bertrams. Anthony Trollope. 1859. 496 pages. [Source: Bought]

I'm continuing to read Trollope chronologically. I hope to finish this one this week or weekend.

Fearless Living in Troubled Times. Michael Youssef. 2017. [August] Harvest House. 240 pages. [Source: Review copy]

This is a very thought-provoking read. Youssef is teaching from the books 1 and 2 Thessalonians.

Vincent and Theo: The Van Gogh Brothers. Deborah Heiligman. 2017. 464 pages. [Source: Library]

I've decided that his family would have been perfect guests on the Dr. Phil show. But if Dr. Phil had gotten Vincent the help he needed, would he still be remembered today? Would his masterpieces even exist?

The Heirloom Murders. Kathleen Ernst. 2011. 349 pages. [Source: Library]

I've not read the first Chloe Ellefson murder yet--this is the second in the series--but this series shows some potential. I am most interested in reading the sixth book Death on the Prairie which has the heroine going to visit all the historic sites associated with Laura Ingalls Wilder.






© 2017 Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

3 comments:

Barbara H. said...

Quite a variety! So far I haven't yet read Trollope and need to rectify that. Death on the Prairie caught my eye - will have to look that one up!

Lisa notes... said...

I love your variety here too. That’s my favorite way kind of stack. :) I just checked out The Goldfinch but haven't started it yet.

Kym said...

I've never read Trollope either, and I think I should. I'm interested in Vincent and Theo - think I'll look for that one to add to my TBR.