Thursday, July 20, 2017

Skunked

Skunked. (Calpurnia Tate, Girl Vet #1) Jacqueline Kelly. 2016. 106 pages. [Source: Library]

First sentence: None of the terrible things that happened need have happened at all if the skunk hadn't drawn attention to itself by ripping up our garden and stealing a bunch of vegetables. And if Father hadn't told the hired man to set a trap and kill it. And if the skunk hadn't turned out to be a mother with a baby hidden in a den nearby. And if my younger brother Travis hadn't heard the hungry baby crying and stopped to investigate.

Premise/plot: Calpurnia Tate stars in a new series of early readers. (This is not a younger Calpurnia Tate.) Callie LOVES science, her grandpa, and her younger brother, Travis. In this one, Calpurnia and Travis find an orphaned baby skunk. Together they will "save" it. But their rescue mission isn't without challenges!

My thoughts: I enjoyed this one. I like Callie as a character. (Callie also stars in The Evolution of Calpurnia Tate and The Curious World of Calpurnia Tate.) The two previous books are for older readers. I'm not sure why the switch in audience, but, I don't mind it particularly. I like the Texas setting. I love historical fiction. The family atmosphere is great.


© 2017 Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

No comments: