Tuesday, September 26, 2017

What's On Your Nightstand (September)

The folks at 5 Minutes For Books host What’s On Your Nightstand? the fourth Tuesday of each month in which we can share about the books we have been reading and/or plan to read.
First. I FINISHED the ESV Reformation Study Bible and Les Miserables!!!!

Now as to what is currently on my nightstand...

Martin Luther: A Spiritual Biography. Herman Selderhuis. 2017. Crossway. 288 pages. [Source: Review copy]

I thought I was Martin Luther-ed out. But I am finding Selderhuis' narrative style to be compelling. I will probably finish this one today or tomorrow.

Holy Bible: Revised English Bible. 1989/1996. Cambridge. 1264 pages. [Source: Bought]

I started 2017 by reading the New English Bible. I thought it would be appropriate to finish the year by reading the Revised English Bible which is a revision of the New English. Before 2017, I'd never read either translation.

Genuine Fraud. E. Lockhart. 2017. 272 pages. [Source: Library]

I honestly haven't decided if I love this one or HATE it. I'm not giving up on it just yet even though the reverse chronology is driving me a bit crazy. Also I'm not a big fan of unreliable narrators. I can only imagine if it was written in verse and had a love triangle thrown in as well.

Rebecca. Daphne Du Maurier. 1938. 449 pages. [Source: bought]

This would be a reread for me. I wanted to read a couple more books for the RIP challenge. I started off strong reading the first hundred pages in one day, but, I've slowed down since. Still finishing this one would help me out with my charity challenge.


Castle Richmond. Anthony Trollope. 1860. 500 pages. [Source: Bought]

Continuing my way through Trollope chronologically. This one is set in Ireland. I haven't made much progress in this one since August's post. Still I want to finish it before the end of the year.

Adam Bede. George Eliot. 1859. 624 pages. [Source: Bought]

I really want to read a George Eliot novel this year. I am hoping now that Les Miserables is finished I can sit and focus on the two other classics I'd started: Adam Bede and Castle Richmond. I really, really, really should be strict with myself about having more than one classic at a time going. My problem is TEMPTATION. I see a book, I want to read it. I don't want to WAIT to read it, I want to read it NOW. I either need to walk around my room with my eyes closed, or figure out a way to RESIST TEMPTATION.

© 2017 Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

3 comments:

Barbara H. said...

I have Adam Bede on an extended TBR list. Not reading any time soon, but hope to some day. Same with Trollope. I usually only have one classic going at a time but will be in books in other genres (usually a biography, a Christian non-fiction, and a Christian fiction, usually in different places. Classic on audio, non-fiction on Kindle, etc.). I couldn't do that if I were trying to read 3 or 4 of the same genre at a time - I'd get them mixed up. The one on Luther sounds interesting.

bekahcubed said...

That is quite an accomplishment to finish up both a study Bible and Les Miserables. The Martin Luther biography sounds interesting. I've read Roland Bainton's Here I Stand, but not a lot else on Luther. I often have the same problem with picking up something new and interesting and starting it right away, despite that leaving me with too much in progress. But since I get most of my books from the library, I usually have a deadline that forces me to either finish or discard a book rather than having it ongoing for forever.

Sj2b House of Books said...

WOW you are a true lit lover. Some pretty heavy reads going on there. It'd take me forever to read Les Mis let alone, Les Mis, a study Bible AND then a Martin Luther biography. I must admit the Luther book looks very appealing. I did have a good look at it at work but decided to leave it for now. Genuine Fraud looks very interesting, I just love a good unreliable narrator thriller. Such a great looking cover, I immediately had to put it face out on the shelf when it arrived at the bookstore.

Look forward to next months posting, Sharon