Monday, August 03, 2026

52. Prey



52. Prey. Michael Crichton. 2002. 507 pages. [Source: Library] [audio book, 5 stars, adult science fiction, adult thriller]

First sentence: Things never turn out the way you think they will.

Premise/plot: Jack Forman, our protagonist, is a stay at home dad. (Three kids, if my memory is correct). After losing his job because he was a whistleblower--or trying to be--he's been unable to get another job in his field. (He reported something unethical and dangerous not knowing the person he was reporting to was IN on the shady shady side of things). His wife, Julia, well she's SOMETHING. Perhaps she wasn't always so something. Maybe there was a time when she was loving, supportive, and a great mother. But we never see that side of her--not really.

Jack Forman finds himself at the center of a GREAT mystery. And it starts soon after a terribly horrible health scare with his youngest. Soon he's being asked by the people who fired him to "help out" and trouble shoot with code that he developed. BUT he soon finds that what they are NOT telling him could feel all the libraries in the world. And his creepy wife is at the center of it--for better or worse.

A science experiment has gone terribly, terribly, terribly wrong! And Jack Forman finds himself almost completely alone in trying to save the world.

My thoughts: Prey is my fourth Michael Crichton novel that I've read. I LOVED, LOVED, LOVED, LOVED IT. I listened to the audio narrated by Robert Sean Leonard. It was FABULOUS. I have a feeling I would have loved the story either way--in print or on audio. I COULD not stop reading this one.



© 2026 Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

No comments: