Tuesday, November 22, 2016

2017 Victorian Reading Challenge

Victorian Reading Challenge
Host: Becky's Book Reviews
Duration: January - December 2017
Goal: Read a minimum of 4 Victorian books

Sign up in the comments (If you have a blog, please leave your blog address. If you have a goodreads profile AND if you review regularly on goodreads, then you may leave that as well.)

How this challenge is different from last year: I'm not doing a BINGO challenge this upcoming year. If you want to sign up for this challenge again and hold onto a bingo card from 2016 or 2015, you're definitely welcome to! But I won't be designing a new card for next year!

You are also welcome to use my new checklist below. But it's optional.

Also new this year, I'll have quarterly check-in posts. I'll be posting check-in posts March 25, June 24, September 23, and December 30. You may leave links to your reviews on any of those four posts. If you want to share your review with me BEFORE that, AND if you have twitter, feel free to tweet me a link @blbooks.

IF you love Victorian literature AND you happen to love tea...consider joining my Share-a-Tea reading challenge.

Feel free to copy/paste this. You can replace the _ with an X or a ✔ (copy/paste it) when you finish reading a book. If you list the books you read, that may help other people decide what to read.

_ 1. A book under 200 pages
_ 2. A book over 400 pages
_ 3. A book that REALLY intimidates you
_ 4. A book you REALLY want to reread
_ 5. A new-to-you book by a FAVORITE author
_ 6. A book with illustrations
_ 7. A book that was originally published serially
_ 8. A book published between 1837-1849
_ 9. A book published between 1850-1860
_ 10. A book published between 1861-1870
_ 11. A book published between 1871-1880
_ 12. A book published between 1881-1890
_ 13. A book published between 1891-1901
_ 14. A book published between 1902-1999 with a Victorian setting
_ 15. A book published between 2000-2017 with a Victorian setting
_ 16. A book by Charles Dickens
_ 17. A book by Wilkie Collins
_ 18. A book by Anthony Trollope
_ 19. A book by Elizabeth Gaskell
_ 20. A book by George Eliot
_ 21. A book by a new-to-you male author
_ 22. A book by a new-to-you female author
_ 23. A book translated into English
_ 24. A fiction or nonfiction book about Queen Victoria
_ 25. A book that has been filmed as movie, miniseries, or television show
_ 26. A play OR a collection of short stories OR a collection of poems
_ 27. Biography, Autobiography, or NONFICTION book about the Victorian era
_ 28. Genre or Subgenre of your choice (mystery, suspense, romance, gothic, adventure, western, science fiction, fantasy)
_ 29. Book with a name as the title
_ 30. Book You've Started but Never Finished
_ 31. A Christian book fiction or nonfiction
_ 32. A children's book
_ 33. Book with a Number in the Title
_ 34. Book with a Place in the Title
_ 35. Free Choice
_ 36. free choice
_ 37. free choice
_ 38. free choice 

 Rules:

  • Fiction or nonfiction.
  • Books, e-books, audio books all are fine.
  • Books and movies can be reviewed together or separately.
  • You can create a reading list if you want, but it's not a requirement
  • If you do make a list, consider adding a list of five books you'd recommend to others
  • If possible try to try a new-to-you author! I know it can be really tempting to stick with familiar favorites.
  • Children's books published during these years should not be forgotten!
  • Rereads are definitely allowed if you have favorites!
  • A blog is not required, a review is not required, but, if you don't review please consider sharing what you read in a comment with one or two sentences of 'reaction' or 'response.' 
  • Any qualifying book reviewed in 2017 counts towards the challenge. If you're like me, perhaps you try to schedule posts a week ahead of time. So if it's reviewed in 2017, it counts. Even if you finished the book the last week or two of 2016! 

© 2016 Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

24 comments:

Jamie Ghione said...

Hi, I want to try this one. Here is my sign up post:
http://jannghi.blogspot.com/2016/11/2017-victorian-reading-challenge.html

And I'm hosting the following challenges. Please let me know if you are interested:
http://jannghi.blogspot.com/2016/10/literary-loners-reading-challenge-2017.html
http://jannghi.blogspot.com/2016/10/memoir-bingo-reading-challenge-2017.html
http://jannghi.blogspot.com/2016/10/epistolary-reading-challenge-2017.html
http://jannghi.blogspot.com/2016/10/humor-reading-challenge-2017.html

Making Sense of the Stars said...

I'm joining! I'm also hosting the Classic Horror Challenge on my blog, which fits beautifully with yours. Check it out at my blog if you'd like. Here's my sign up post: http://makingsenseofthestars.weebly.com/victorian-reading-challenge.html

Thomas peaple said...

Hello. Do the books with a Victorian setting have to be set entirely in that period?

Becky said...

Thomas, not completely, no. Like time travel to and from would be okay :) Or a family saga with part of the story in that time period etc.

Thomas peaple said...

Thanks for the answer. Just one other thing the new to book by a favourite author. Does new to you just mean a book you haven't read before or specifically one you only recently found out about?

Becky said...

Thomas, one you haven't read before.

Thomas peaple said...

Thanks. Am torn between this and the Back to Classics one. But I have manged to fit eight books in both

wasitacatisaw said...

I'm gonna try this one ... excited!

Priya said...

I was unsure about this till I saw 17-20. now I am in. I don't do challenges well, but this would get so many books off my eternally overflowing tbr. Bleak House, The Moonstone and Cranford are already sitting on my shelf!

o said...

I love your Victorian challenges! Here's my sign up :)

Fanda Classiclit said...

Thanks for hosting this challenge. Count me in!
Here's my post: http://klasikfanda.blogspot.co.id/2016/12/2017-victorian-reading-challenge.html

Unknown said...

I am looking forward to it.

http://emma-in-oz.livejournal.com/

sunt_lacrimae_rerum said...

https://gubbinal.com/2016/12/24/victorian-reading-challenge-2017/

I am joining! Thank you for such a wonderful series of brilliant challenges.

Unknown said...

Count me in also. As I read through the challenge books kept popping in my mind that I've been wanting to read.

Emilissa said...

Great challenge!

https://emilissa15.wordpress.com/2017/01/08/2017-reading-challenges/

Alison said...

Sounds like fun! :)

https://www.goodreads.com/review/list/12919912-alison?shelf=2017-victorian-reading-challenge

LibriAmoriMiei said...

My sign up post http://libriamicimiei.blogspot.it/2017/03/2017-victorian-reading-challenge.html
Thank you

Karen K. said...

I'm in! I have a huge list of Victorians I want to read, let's see how many I can get to this year. Here's a link to my list:

https://karensbooksandchocolate.blogspot.de/2017/03/victorian-reading-challenge.html

Paula Vince said...

Although it's nearly May and I'm a bit late, I'm still in for the rest of the year. I have a couple of categories ticked off already, and I'll fill you in on the June catch-up post you mentioned. Thanks for the impetus to keep reading Victorian novels :)

Thomas peaple said...

Sorry for delay but here are my four I have or will read
By Charles Dickens David Copperfield
Reread the turn of the screw
Became film Treasure island
1880s Jekl and Hyde
Possible 5th The Square Mile of murder which is a non fiction book mostly set in Victorian times

Unknown said...

Hi, I'd like to try this. I'm always reading and love historical fiction and classics set in the period. I've actually written a novel set in Victorian London :) I don't have anything on my blog yet, except a few posts, as I'm just getting started.

Becky said...

Welcome, Norah!!!

Unknown said...

Hi there! I'm so bummed I only just happened upon this post in September but I thought you might be interested in an October readalong my friends and I are hosting called Victober which is a month long Victorian Literature readalong.
We're putting up our announcement videos on Friday and are hoping some book bloggers will be participating as well!
My channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgcjcyByhekqVpU6cKriX5w?view_as=subscriber
Can't wait to read all your Victorian literature posts now!

Jamie Ghione said...

Here is what I read this year. Looking forward to next year.
http://jannghi.blogspot.com/2016/11/2017-victorian-reading-challenge.html