Wednesday, November 23, 2016

Picture Book Reading Challenge

Original artwork by Charles Haigh-Wood (1856-1927)
Host: Becky's Book Reviews (sign up)
Duration: January - December 2017
Goal: To have adults read more picture books. To celebrate the fact that picture books are for everyone! Families are, of course, welcome to join in!
# of books: minimum of 6

Option 1: BINGO CARD!
Option 2: CHECKLIST (read as few as six, or as many as you like)

Feel free to copy/paste this. You can replace the _ with an X or a ✔ (copy/paste it) when you finish reading a book. If you list the books you read, that may help other people decide what to read.

_ 1. An alphabet book
_ 2. A counting book
_ 3. Concept book: shapes or numbers or opposites or colors
_ 4. a book set on a farm or in the country
_ 5. a book set in the city or in an urban area
_ 6. a book set at the beach, in the ocean, or by a lake
_ 7. a book with human characters
_ 8. a book with animal characters
_ 9. a bedtime book
_ 10. a rhyming book
_ 11. a book celebrating art
_ 12. a book celebrating dance
_ 13. a book celebrating music
_ 14. a book celebrating family (parents, grandparents, brothers, sisters, aunts, uncles, etc.)
_ 15. a book about feelings, expressing feelings
_ 16. a book with a twist (unexpected) ending
_ 17. a book about pets (cats, dogs, fish)
_ 18. a book celebrating libraries or reading
_ 19. a book translated into English (originally published in another language/country)
_ 20 Mother Goose related
_ 21 a book about adoption
_ 22 a book by Gail Gibbons
_ 23 a book by Jon Scieszka
_ 24 a book featured on Reading Rainbow
_ 25 free choice
_ 26 out of print
_ 27 wordless picture book
_ 28 a book by Margaret Wise Brown
_ 29 a board book
_ 30. a book about trains or planes
_ 31. a book about cars or trucks
_ 32. a book about starting school
_ 33. a book about friendship (sharing, caring, forgiving)
_ 34. a book about being ME, about being unique, special, loved, etc.
_ 35. a fairy tale
_ 36. a twisted (adapted) fairy tale
_ 37. a book about a holiday
_ 38. a new-to-you author
_ 39. a new-to-you illustrator
_ 40. a book about new experiences (dentist, doctor, sleepovers, movies, playing sports, learning to swim, etc.)
_ 41. a series book
_ 42. a book celebrating food (cooking, eating, trying new foods, eating healthy)
_ 43. a book published before 1950
_ 44. a book published in the 1950s
_ 45. a book published in the 1960s
_ 46. a book published in the 1970s
_ 47. a book published in the 1980s
_ 48. a book published in the 1990s
_ 49. a book published in the 2000s
_ 50. a book published 2010-2016
_ 51. a book published in 2017
_ 52. a book by Dr. Seuss
_ 53. a book by Mo Willems
_ 54. a book by Jan Thomas
_ 55. a book by Eric Carle
_ 56. a book by Laura Numeroff
_ 57. a book by Patricia Polacco
_ 58. a book by Jon Klassen
_ 59. a book by Beatrix Potter
_ 60. a book by Kevin Henkes
_ 61. a book written or illustrated by LeUyen Pham
_ 62. a Caldecott winner
_ 63.  a Caldecott honor
_ 64. a picture book biography
_ 65. a nonfiction picture book
_ 66. a book from your childhood
_ 67. a book you discovered as an adult
_ 68. a book celebrating writing, being an author or illustrator
_ 69. a library book
_ 70. an audio book
_ 71.  a book about dinosaurs OR dragons
_ 72. nonfiction book about animals (or animal)
_ 73. a challenged book OR a controversial book
_ 74. a book that makes you laugh
_ 75. a book that makes you cry
_ 76. hate the text, love the art
_ 77. love the text, hate the art
_ 78. a book with a great cover
_ 79. a book with an ugly cover
_ 80. a book about toys
_ 81. a book about weather
_ 82. a picture book for older readers
_ 83. a book of jokes, riddles, tongue-twisters
_ 84. a book about seasons
_ 85. a song
_ 86. a poetry book
_ 87. a book by a celebrity
_ 88.  a book published in Australia
_ 89. a book published in the UK
_ 90. a book about science or math
_ 91. a book about history or historical event
_ 92. a book about sports
_ 93. a book about celebrating birthdays
_ 94. a book about a President or world leader
_ 95. a book about another country
_ 96. a book celebrating faith
_ 97. a pop-up book, or, a book with cut-outs or flaps or fold-outs
_ 98. a bilingual book
_ 99.  a television series that has been adapted to a book
_ 100. a book that has been adapted to a television series
_ 101. an adaptation of a myth or legend
_ 102. a book about babies 

OPTION 3: ABCs. Read 26 picture books, one for each letter by title and/or author.

Sign up by leaving a comment. Do indicate which option you're leaning towards. And if you have a blog, please leave your blog address so I can visit you.

Reviews are not a requirement. But if you do review, you can share links to your reviews. I'm thinking of having check-in posts on the 15th of every month.

© 2016 Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

45 comments:

Randomly Reading said...

I read so many picture books every year, so this is the challenge for me. I think I will do the picture book bingo option. Thanks for hosting this challenge.

Jamie Ghione said...

I'm in. This looks like fun. I'll be doing the bingo card.
http://jannghi.blogspot.com/2016/11/picture-book-reading-challenge.html

Darlene said...

I love this! I'm a huge advocate for reading aloud to our kids. I love the BINGO card, so I'm going for Option 1. Thanks for hosting!

http://darlenesbooknook.blogspot.com/p/2017-challenges.html

Gloria said...

Am excited to try for this challenge in 2017. Picture books are an important aspect of literacy, not just for children only. I'm choosing the Checklist Option, and look forward to enjoying over 50 titles!.......

Ronyell (a.k.a. Rabbitearsblog) said...

I always love reading picture books, so I'll go with option 2 the checklist!

I'll be keeping track of my challenges here:

http://rabbitearsbookblog.blogspot.com/p/blog-page_30.html

Cassie @ Cassie's Babblings said...

I love reading picture books! I'm a former children's librarian, so I think this will give me the perfect excuse to keep requesting picture books from the library.

I'll be tracking my progress here: http://cbabblings.blogspot.com/p/2017-reading-challenges_8.html

I'm also choosing the checklist option. I'm so excited!

Anonymous said...

Sue @ Kid Lit Reviews
http://www.kid-lit-reviews.com

I read a lot of PBs so t his should bew fun. I am going to try to tackle your dprecific llist and play the Bingo game.

Liz said...

I'm pretty excited to work my way through this challenge. I'm going to try for the checklist but might do the bingo too. Picture books are fun and interesting. I love art and fun stories so its the prefect combination for me!

Katie Fitzgerald said...

Finally got around to commenting to say I'm in! I'm going to attempt the checklist and see how far I get. Here's my reading challenges post: http://www.readathomemom.com/2016/12/2017-reading-challenges-and-bout-of.html

SueFitz said...

THink I will go for the checklist option and see how many of them I can get through.

http://booksbooksthemagicalfruit.blogspot.com/2016/12/2017-picture-book-reading-challenge.html

Thanks for hosting

Christine said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

I'd love to participate in the bingo. I will try to record my 6 yo's reviews too.

http://emma-in-oz.livejournal.com/

Gretchen said...

Hi Becky,
I love this challenge! When my kids were younger we would check out mountains of picture books from the library. I miss reading them and this gives me a great reminder to head to that section of the library. I will use the checklist and will make a Good Reads shelf to track and will post reviews there too.

Thanks,
Gretchen

Joanne Sher said...

This sounds like a great challenge for me! I am a prepublished picture book writer, and I read quite a few picture book this year - but this will help me be more intentional about reading different kinds, I think. I will do the checklist.
My blog is www.joannesher.com, but I haven't updated it in quite a while. Hope to in the new year, though :)
Thanks!

Beverley Baird said...

I do read a lot of picture books but love the list - so many different kinds. Count me in!

Rona Shirdan said...

This sounds like fun! I will join you with the checklist version of the challenge.

Julie Murphy said...

Sounds great! I love picture books, and choose the checklist options. Come on 2017!

MamaWantsHerBooks said...

I'm in! In the past I would have done this with my son but he is finally moving on from picture books (he is 9 but has multiple learning disabilities). So for the most part this will be all me. I love picture books mainly for the artwork. The story is important too but sometimes for me I'd rather just sit a enjoy the beautiful pictures.

http://mommawantsherbooks.blogspot.com/2016/12/2017-picture-book-reading-challenge.html

Cheryl Malandrinos said...

Thanks for hosting this wonderful challenge. I'll go with the bingo card option.

https://childrensandteensbookconnection.wordpress.com/2016/12/29/2017-picture-book-reading-challenge/

Beverley Baird said...

I.m aiming for 100 - will try your checklist.

Christine said...

I'm in! I'm going for the checklist and aiming to complete it. Thanks for hosting!

https://bucklingbookshelves.blogspot.com/2016/12/2017-reading-challenge-sign-ups.html

BookishRealm said...

I'm so happy that you are doing this! I love picture books. I'm going for the challenge where you read 104 books that fit into each category. Here's my post: http://www.bookishrealmreviews.com/p/features.html

Unknown said...

Review no 1 done -
http://emma-in-oz.livejournal.com/631346.html

Katie Fitzgerald said...

Just a quick note: I just went to copy the checklist to a page on my blog, and realized it jumps from 19 to 30, leaving out 20 to 29. Not a big deal, but I thought you might want to know. :-)

Becky said...

Thank you for catching that! I've added new categories!

Unknown said...

I'm doing 20 picture books for option 2. https://catonthebookshelf.wordpress.com/2017/01/02/reading-challenges-for-2017/

FICTION STATE OF MIND said...

Im going to try to finish both!

http://fictionstateofmind.blogspot.com/2017/01/2017-reading-challenges.html?spref=tw

Katie Fitzgerald said...

I love the new ones you added, Becky. Thanks!

Laces said...

I'm planning on the checklist option. -Alison
https://wtfdidyouread.wordpress.com/blog/

Tía Hillary said...

Going to start with the Bingo card, but hopefully be able to complete the checklist as well!

Rose D said...

I'm going to start with the Bingo & then work through the Alphabet Challenge. I love reading & collecting picture books! I do a few other challenges, but this one is my favorite so far! Starting now! Rose D.

tobe.buffenbarger said...

I'm going for the checklist option as part of the 1000 Books Before Kindergarten challenge. http://msbuff.com/2017/01/08/2017-picture-book-reading-challenge/

Gloria G said...

https://www.goodreads.com/review/list/7069902-gloria-green?shelf=2017-pix-books-70

This is my corrected shelf to follow with my picture books -- make note.......

JLS Hall said...

Hope I'm not too late in signing up! I love picture books, so this seems like a wonderful challenge. I'll be using the checklist to choose my books. Thanks so much for hosting!

My sign-up blog post is here:
http://jlshall.blogspot.com/2017/01/2017-picture-book-reading-challenge.html

(Sorry if you get this twice - I got an ERROR message the first time I tried to leave a comment.)

Holly Scudero said...

I'm definitely on board this one! I have a five-year-old who LOVES to read, so this challenge is a no-brainer for me. :)

Holly Scudero said...

I'm doing the checklist, by the way. I will be posting the full list of what we read on my own blog eventually!

Kodelle said...

I love this idea. I am doing the list. Its up on my blog.
www.readingwild.blogspot.com

Alexis @ Reflections of a Bookaholic said...

I'm participating! I'm doing the Picture Book Bingo!
www.bookaholicreflections.com

And my challenge post is here:
http://www.bookaholicreflections.com/2017/01/2017-challenges-trying-again.html

Julie @ Smiling Shelves said...

This looks like so much fun! I'm going to see how many I can get on the checklist. Here's my sign-up post - http://www.smilingshelves.com/home/2017-reading-challenge-sign-ups-round-two. Thanks for hosting!

Reanea Wilson said...

I love the challenge of the checklist.

A Book and a Cup of Tea said...

I'd love to join! I will go with the bingo card. Here is my link http://abookandacupofteablog.blogspot.com/p/blog-page_6.html .

Jamie Ghione said...

I have completed all the categories:
http://jannghi.blogspot.com/2016/11/picture-book-reading-challenge.html

MamaWantsHerBooks said...

I just hit 20 books read. I had a couple of rough months this year but I'm back on track. Hoping to read all 102 books before the end of this year. Happy reading to everyone!!

MamaWantsHerBooks said...

Just curious for the list you have audio book listed. Would it count if I watched a youtube video of someone reading a picture book?

Becky said...

Yes, a youtube video would count towards the audio book category.