Tuesday, September 04, 2018

2018 Reading Challenges: Victober

Victober
Hosted by Ange, Kate, Katie, and Lucy. (All BookTubers) GoodReads Group page.
When: October 2018
# of books: I'm aiming for 4 (I'd be surprised if I finish that many).


Books Completed:
Great Expectations. Charles Dickens. 1860. Read for LibriVox by Mil Nicholson. 20 hours, 13 minutes. [Source: Librivox]
Dracula. Bram Stoker. 1897/2005. 448 pages. [Source: Bought]
Sylvia's Lovers. Elizabeth Gaskell. 1863/1997. Everyman Paperbacks. 560 pages. [Source: Bought]
 Agnes Grey. Anne Bronte. 1847. 224 pages. [Source: Bought]

Ange's challenge: Read a book by one of the hosts' favourite Victorian authors: Charlotte Bronte, Charles Dickens, Elizabeth Gaskell, or Thomas Hardy. 

I will be reading Sylvia's Lovers by Elizabeth Gaskell (maybe)
I might also be reading something else by Elizabeth Gaskell. (Like Wives and Daughters or Ruth or Cranford)
Great Expectations. Charles Dickens. 1860. Read for LibriVox by Mil Nicholson. 20 hours, 13 minutes. [Source: Librivox]

Kate's Challenge: Read A Victorian book with a proper noun (place name or personal name) in the title.

I will be reading The Small House at Allington by Anthony Trollope. I might also be reading Sylvia's Lovers by Elizabeth Gaskell. Or Romola by George Eliot.

Sylvia's Lovers. Elizabeth Gaskell. 1863/1997. Everyman Paperbacks. 560 pages. [Source: Bought]

Katie's Challenge: Read a book from the first ten years of the Victorian period (1837-1847) and/or a book from the last ten years of the Victorian period. (1891-1901)

I will be reading The Three Musketeers (1844) OR The Old Curiosity Shop by Charles Dickens.

I will be reading Cyrano de Bergerac published in 1897.

I will be trying to find a book by a British or Irish author that fulfills the challenge.

Dracula. Bram Stoker. 1897/2005. 448 pages. [Source: Bought]

Lucy's Challenge: Read a Victorian book written by a woman anonymously or under a pseudonym.

I will be reading Romola by George Eliot. Maybe. This one is on another challenge list. So if it's going to be done in 2018, October seems a logical choice.

 Agnes Grey. Anne Bronte. 1847. 224 pages. [Source: Bought]

General challenge: Read a Victorian book and watch a screen adaptation of it:

I'm not sure yet.

Bonus Group Readalong: Wives and Daughters by Elizabeth Gaskell.

© 2018 Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

1 comment:

Bellezza said...

Most tempting, Becky. Thank you for clarifying the "requirements" so beautifully, as I was a bit confused. (Not being on the video aspect of book blogging, nor likeky to start any time soon.) I slogged through Middlemarch in May, and now I feel prepared to embark upon another one; after September being National Translation Month.:)