Tuesday, November 14, 2017

2018 Reading Challenges: Good Rule

Host: Becky's Book Reviews (sign up)
Duration: January 2018 - December 2018
Inspiration: It is a good rule, after reading a new book, never to allow yourself another new one till you have read an old one in between. If that is too much for you, you should at least read one old one to every three new ones. C.S. Lewis
# of books: readers decide
1. I want a yearly challenge based on genres.
2. I will set the goal number of books based on genres. Once I meet my goals, I *may* adopt a whatever-I-want-to-read approach. Or adapt my goals.

Board books and picture books = 200 (150 new; 50 old)
Early readers and chapter books = 40 (30 new; 10 old)
Contemporary (general/realistic) = 20 (15 new; 5 old)
Speculative fiction (sci-fi/fantasy) = 52 (39 new; 13 old)
Historical fiction = 52 (26 new; 26 old)
Mysteries = 36 (18 new; 18 old)
Nonfiction = 20 (15 new; 5 old)
Total: 420

I will keep track of my Christian fiction and nonfiction at Operation Actually Read Bible. As well as my Bibles.

3. Depends on the genre. May change this once the challenge starts. Right now mostly 75% new, 25% old.

4. Depends on the genre--my definition of "old" and "new."
Board books and picture books = new is anything published after 2013
Early readers and chapter books = new is anything published after 2013
Contemporary (general/realistic) = new is anything published after 2007
Speculative fiction (sci-fi/fantasy = new is anything published after 2007
Historical fiction = new is anything published after 2007
Mysteries = new is anything published after 1988
Nonfiction = new is anything published after 2007

5. DONE and then some!

6. My structured posts which will take the place of monthly reflection posts but NOT week in review posts.
Books Read in 2018
Board books and picture books:
Early readers and early chapter books:
Contemporary (general/realistic) fiction, all ages:
Speculative Fiction (fantasy, science fiction, etc.) all ages:
Historical fiction, all ages:
Mysteries, all ages:
Nonfiction, all ages:

7. Goodread's shelves: old and new

© 2017 Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

No comments: