Back to the Classics Challenge 2021
January - December 2021
Goal: Read 9 to 12 books in specific categories and link up on her blog
1. A 19th century classic: any book first published from 1800 to 1899
2. A 20th century classic: any book first published from 1900 to 1971. All books must have been published at least 50 years ago; the only exceptions are books which were written by 1971 and posthumously published.
3. A classic by a woman author.
4. A classic in translation, meaning any book first published in a language that is not your primary language. You may read it in translation or in its original language, if you prefer.
5. A classic by BIPOC author; that is, a non-white author.
6. A classic by a new-to-you author, i.e., an author whose work you have never read.
7. New-to-you classic by a favorite author -- a new book by an author whose works you have already read.
8. A classic about an animal, or with an animal in the title. The animal can be real or metaphorical. (i.e., To Kill a Mockingbird).
9. A children's classic.
Pinocchio. Carlo Collodi. 1883. 160 pages. [Source: Bought]
10. A humorous or satirical classic.
The Bostonians. Henry James. 1886. 460 pages. [Source: Bought] *Wikipedia and Goodreads seems to think this is a satirical novel about the Feminist movement.
11. A travel or adventure classic (fiction or non-fiction). It can be a travelogue or a classic in which the main character travels or has an adventure.
12. A classic play. Plays will only count in this category.
If you're new to the challenge, here's how it works:
- Complete six categories, and you'll get one entry in the drawing;
- Complete nine categories, and you'll get two entries in the drawing;
- Complete all twelve categories, and you'll get three entries in the drawing
- All books must have been written at least 50 years ago to qualify; therefore, books must have been published no later than 1971 for this challenge. The only exceptions to this rule are books which published posthumously but written before 1971. Recent translations of classic novels are acceptable.
© 2020 Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews