Sunday, November 15, 2015

2016 Victorian Bingo Challenge (Sign-Up)

Victorian Reading Challenge
Host: Becky's Book Reviews
Duration: January - December 2016
Goal: Get at least one bingo, five books minimum
Sign up in the comments

There is a new card for 2016! If you participated in the 2015 challenge, and you're super-attached to the categories on that card, I won't mind if you stick with it. But I wanted to make a new card, I think it will keep it fun to have a new card each year. The new categories appear in bold. If there is enough interest, I can compose a list of examples/suggestions for each category. Or if there is a particular category that puzzles you, and you want suggestions, I could answer your specific question.

The categories:
  • American male author
  • Anthony Trollope
  • Book That Has Been Adapted Into A Movie
  • Charles Dickens
  • American female author
  • Book published 1871-1880
  • Book about property, inheritance, economics
  • Children's book of your choice
  • Mystery, suspense, sensation
  • Book published 1837-1849
  • Book published 1881-1890
  • Wilkie Collins
  • Book by a European Author
  • Book with a name as the title
  • Book published 1861-1870
  • Book published 1891-1901
  • Book about courtship or marriage
  • Book of your choice
  • Speculative Fiction (Fantasy, Science Fiction, Time Travel, etc.)
  • Book published 1850-1860
  • British Female Author
  • Fiction book set during the Victorian era
  • Book or Movie about Queen Victoria
  • Nonfiction book about the Victorian era
  • British Male Author  
Rules:
  • Fiction or nonfiction.
  • Books, e-books, audio books all are fine.
  • Books and movies can be reviewed together or separately.
  • You can create a reading list if you want, but it's not a requirement
  • If you do make a list, consider adding a list of five books you'd recommend to others
  • If possible try to try a new-to-you author! I know it can be really tempting to stick with familiar favorites.
  • Children's books published during these years should not be forgotten!
  • Rereads are definitely allowed if you have favorites!
  • A blog is not required, a review is not required, but, if you don't review please consider sharing what you read in a comment with one or two sentences of 'reaction' or 'response.' 
  • Any qualifying book reviewed in 2016 counts towards the challenge. If you're like me, perhaps you try to schedule posts a week ahead of time. So if it's reviewed in 2016, it counts. Even if you finished the book the last week or two of 2015! 
© 2015 Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

14 comments:

o said...

I LOVED 2015's Challenge, so definitely joining this for 2016. Thanks for hosting! :)

Mikaela said...

I'm interested in this. I have quite a few books that seem to fit the requirements. It just means I'll have to hold off on reading my copies of "The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes" and "Refining Fire" by Tracie Peterson. Thanks for hosting!

Anonymous said...

I am gonna sign up for this challenge! Sounds wonderful!

Bellezza said...

Becky, thanks for getting back to me! I'm going to try this for 2016. I don't know very much Victorian lit, but I'd like to! In looking forward to reading with you and the others. A post will be forthcoming...

Bellezza said...

Actually, when I reviewed possible titles and authors, I realize I've read quite a bit of Victorian Lit! What I was unclear about was the exact time period. I have loved Dickens, of course, and all three Bronte sisters. Then there's Austen and Wilde and Stevenson. So, I've many favorites here, but will push on to some new to me aithors such as Thackery and Eliot. Thanks, Becky, for the impetus so well organized.

Sarah Coller said...

Oh wonderful! Yes, I'll join! I'm hosting a Victorian Reading Challenge, as well. I hope you'll check it out!

Major said...

Thanks for hosting, I'm in, just dipping a toe

http://majoryammerton.blogspot.com/2015/12/victorian-bingo-2016-sign-up-post.html

Melanie said...

I think this will be a fantastic way to read some of the books I've been meaning to read for a long time. Thank you for setting this up!

amanda@figandthistle said...

I'm excited about this one! http://figandthistle.com/2016/01/04/2015-reads-bout-of-books-and-2016-reading-challenges/

Sarah Coller said...

Hey Becky,

Is this where you'd like us to link up our review posts, too? Here's my first one for the challenge, filling the Bingo square for "Nonfiction Book About the Victorian Era".

http://www.belleslibrary.com/2016/01/dickens-fur-coat-and-charlottes.html

Blessings,
Sarah

Sarah Coller said...

Here's my review for Stepping Heavenward, fulfilling the square for Books Published 1861-1870. http://www.belleslibrary.com/2016/02/stepping-heavenward-by-mrs-elizabeth.html

LibriAmoriMiei said...

Hi, this is my sign up post http://libriamicimiei.blogspot.it/2016/03/bingo-challenge-2016-french-world-at.html Thanks for hosting

Sarah Coller said...

Here's my review for Empty Mansions: http://www.belleslibrary.com/2016/05/empty-mansions-mysterious-life-of.html

Making Sense of the Stars said...

Oooh! I just discovered this in my search for 2017 challenges. I hope that you do another one in the new year!