Monday, November 09, 2015

Beatrix Potter and Her Paint Box

Beatrix Potter and Her Paint Box. David McPhail. 2015. Henry Holt. 40 pages. [Source: Library]

First sentence: Beatrix Potter was born on July 28, 1866, in London, England.

Premise/plot: David McPhail has written a picture book biography about Beatrix Potter, author-illustrator of dozens of picture books including Peter Rabbit. The book focuses on her childhood through the publication of her first few books.

My thoughts: I enjoyed this one very much. I really liked the illustrations. And I thought the text was very reader-friendly. It wasn't text-heavy. It was just the right amount of text for the target audience. Overall, a very nice biography.

Text: 4 out of 5
Illustrations: 4 out of 5
Total: 8 out of 10

© 2015 Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

2 comments:

Suko said...

Beatrix Potter has been one of my favorite author-illustrator since childhood. This looks like a charming picture book biography for children and their parents. I love the cover!

Joy Weese Moll (@joyweesemoll) said...

A daunting task to write and illustrate a children's book about such a beloved children's book author. I'm so glad it worked -- because what a treat!