Tuesday, November 20, 2018

Lucy-the-Reader's Christmas #classicsathon

Lucythereader's Book Channel; book blog; @LucyTheReader

Challenge One: Read at least one classic during the month [Free choice]
Challenge Two: Read a book that features or reminds you of Christmas
Challenge Three: Read a children's classic
Challenge Four: Read a book that has been translated into your native language.

What I'm hoping to read:

Challenge One: I'm going to probably still be reading Anthony Trollope's Can You Forgive Her? It has EIGHTY chapters. I may also be reading whichever book is chosen from the Classics Club Spin. I've made my list of twenty. The number will be announced next week, November 27th.

Challenge Two: I love, love, love rereading The Best Christmas Pageant Ever by Barbara Robinson. It was published in 1972. But it is short. So I may also be reading other Christmas books--like Alexandre Dumas' The Nutcracker of Nuremberg. Or even Charles Dickens' Christmas Carol. I've read that one plenty of times, but Mom hasn't read it. So I may challenge her to read it with me.

Challenge Three: I'm not sure what I'll read. So many choices. Including The Best Christmas Pageant Ever. But it might be nice to revisit MANDY by Julie Edwards. I love, love, love that one.

Challenge four: This one is probably the trickiest. Probably. I have many in my TBR Pile but they are all chunksters. If my classics club spin should prove to be Arabian Nights or Don Quixote or The Three Musketeers, I may be in luck. If not....I'll be looking for a short book that qualifies. I wonder if Dumas' Nutcracker adaption would count?!?! Perhaps.

What I actually read:

1. The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe. (The Chronicles of Narnia #1) C.S. Lewis. Illustrated by Pauline Baynes. 1950. 186 pages. [Source: Bought]
2. The Velveteen Rabbit. Margery Williams. Illustrated by William Nicholson. 1922/2014. Random House. 48 pages. [Source: Review copy]
3. A Christmas Carol. Charles Dickens. 1843. 96 pages. [Source: Bought] 
4. The Best Christmas Pageant Ever. Barbara Robinson. 1972. HarperCollins. 128 pages. [Source: Bought]
5. Ruth. Elizabeth Gaskell. 1853. 432 pages. [Source: Bought]
6. The House Without a Christmas Tree. Gail Rock. 1974. 84 pages. [Source: Bought]



© 2018 Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

No comments: