sign up here)
Duration: January 2019-December 2019
Inspiration: It is a good rule, after reading a new book, never to
allow yourself another new one till you have read an old one in between.
If that is too much for you, you should at least read one old one to
every three new ones. C.S. Lewis
# of books: readers decide
Sign up by leaving a comment! I do have comment moderation on because the amount of spam comments is overwhelming.
1. Decide if you want to set a monthly, quarterly, or a yearly goal for
this challenge. You might start out with a monthly goal to see what
works best, and then modify it throughout the year.
2. Set your goal of books. You might want this challenge to cover all
the books you read this year. OR. You might want this challenge to cover
a specific area of your reading. Either is fine.
3. Decide if you want your balance to be 50% new to 50% old OR if you want your balance to be 75% new to 25% old.
4. Set your qualifications. How will you be defining "new"? How will you
be defining "old"? Do you view "new" and "old" solely in terms of
publishing dates? Or do you prefer to see it as "first time reads" and
"rereads." Either interpretation works for me.
5. If you read broadly--audience, genre, etc. You might want to set guidelines on how you want this challenge to work for you.
6. If you blog, you might want to write a sign-up post with your goals
and perhaps a structured post or two that you can continue to update
throughout the challenge. Share links if you want.
7. If you are on Goodreads, you might want to create two bookshelves.
One for keeping track of old books. One for keeping track of new books.
Feel free to share the links if you do.
8. I am on twitter if you want to follow me. @blbooks You may leave your twitter in the comments if you'd like.
9. Combine with other reading challenges if you like.
10. DO ask questions, especially before the challenge begins and in the first few months.
Goal: I want to read 100 picture books. I intend to read 75 new picture
books. I intend to read 25 old (or classic) picture books.
Goal: I want to read 12 biographies or autobiographies. I intend to read 9 new biographies and 3 old biographies.
Goal: I want to read 4 cookbooks. I intend to read 3 new cookbooks and 1 old cookbook.
Goal: I want to use the Good Rule only when reading my favorite
genre--romance. There are so many I haven't read but want to read that I
want to go for 50% new and 50% old.
Goal: I want this challenge to count EVERY book I read. I don't like to
set goals. But I will commit to staying with this balance no matter how
many--or how few--books I read this year.
© 2018 Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews