Thursday, November 15, 2018

The Boo-Boos That Changed the World

The Boo-Boos That Changed the World: A True Story About an Accidental Invention (Really!). Barry Wittenstein. Illustrated by Chris Hsu. 2018. 32 pages. [Source: Library]

First sentence:  Once upon a time, in 1917 actually, a cotton buyer named Earle Dickson married his beloved, Josephine, and they lived happily ever after. The end. Actually, that was just the beginning. The newlyweds expected to live a quiet life in New Brunswick, New Jersey. Instead, Earle and Josephine ended up changing the world, one boo-boo at a time.

Premise/plot: This is a nonfiction book about the inventor of the band-aid. There is a personal story behind this invention.

My thoughts: I found this one to be a compelling read. I'd never thought about the person who invented band-aids. Like most, I imagine, I have taken them for granted never giving a moment's thought to WHO invented them and WHY. (Not to mention the WHEN and HOW). I am thankful for the invention--as a book lover prone to paper cuts they're an absolute necessity--and thankful for the book.



© 2018 Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

1 comment:

Adriana @ BooksOnHerMind said...

I love the cover art! I remember reading about an invention that was created, I think it was mittens..., and I was so surprised and loved learning the back story. This could be a really cute read where I'll actually learn something.