Friday, November 16, 2018

Family Tree Reading Challenge 2019 Sign UP

Family Tree Reading Challenge
Host: Becky's Book Reviews (sign up)
Dates: January - December 2019
# of books: minimum 3

Love reading? Love family? Love researching family history? Want a family-friendly reading challenge? 

Sign up by leaving a comment. Let me know which option you're choosing. (You can do more than one if you like.)

This year I will be offering several options.

Option A -- Places We've Lived

Choose how many family members you want to represent (AKA number of books you want to read).
Read one book per family member. Choose a book set in the state that person called home. (You may choose the state where they were born, the state they lived in most of their life, or the state they died in.)
If you want to make it more difficult, try to choose a book published during that family member's lifetime OR choose a book that is set in the time period in which they lived.


Option B -- A Life in Books

Choose one family member to honor. Read books to represent his/her life. Read as many books as you like.

Children's books: birth year + 12
teen years: birth year + 18
twenties: birth year + 29
thirties: birth year + 39
forties: birth year + 49

For example, let's say your chosen birth year is 1900

a children's book: A Tale of Peter Rabbit by Beatrix Potter (1902)
teen years: Anne of the Island by L.M. Montgomery (1915)
twenties: Whose Body by Dorothy Sayers (1923)
thirties: Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell (1936)
forties: A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith (1943)

Option C -- Repeat last year's original challenge. To read a book from the birth year of your selected family members. You do not have to mention them by name, unless you want. But do please list the years you'll be reading. You may include yourself in your 'family tree.'


Is a blog required? Are reviews required? No. If you do blog, I'd love a link to your blog so I can read your reviews and book recommendations. If you review books on GoodReads, leave a link to your profile so I can friend you and follow your reviews!

If you're on twitter, you can contact me @blbooks

You can comment on this post or any challenge-related post to update others on your progress.

© 2018 Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

7 comments:

Darlene said...

Hi, Becky. Last year one of the options was to read from the family member's year of birth. Is that still allowed for 2019?

Jamie Ghione said...

I have a question as to what is meant by:
Children's books: birth year + 12
teen years: birth year + 18
twenties: birth year + 29
thirties: birth year + 39
forties: birth year + 49

And as Darlene asked, can we still read from family members's birth years?

Becky said...

Darlene, yes, that's fine by me. I wanted to switch it up. But it's certainly still an option.

Jamie, I'll give an example that I hope helps.

A book from childhood -- any children's book published before their birth year up through when they would have turned twelve. (birth year + 12) So if born in 1900 -- any book published before 1912 that is a children's book.

a book from teen years -- same thing, any book that might have been read or enjoyed in the young adult years that was published before their birth year up through when they would have turned 18. (birth year + 18) so if born in the year 1900-- any book published before 1918 that they would/could have enjoyed as a teen.

Let me know if this still doesn't make sense and I'll work on editing the original post.

Jamie Ghione said...

I'm in and I'll be reading from birth years as I did this year.
https://jannghi.blogspot.com/2018/11/family-tree-reading-challenge-2019.html

Darlene said...

Great, thank you Becky! I'm in again for birth years for me and my daughters:

https://darlenesbooknook.blogspot.com/p/this-challenge-is-being-hosted-by-book.html

Bev Hankins said...

I'm back for another round. This year I'm going to do birth years for both my immediate family and my husband's immediate family. https://myreadersblock.blogspot.com/2018/11/family-tree-reading-challenge-my-sign-up.html

Susan said...

I'm in! My first year in the challenge. I plan to read books set in the birth states of 3 family members. https://avidseriesreader.blogspot.com/2018/11/2019-family-tree.html
Avid Series Reader