Wednesday, November 07, 2018

Whiskerella

Whiskerella (Hamster Princess #5) Ursula Vernon. 2018. 240 pages. [Source: Library]

First sentence: The castle of the hamster king was a bustle of activity.

Premise/plot: This is the fifth novel in Ursula Vernon's fantasy series for young readers starring Princess Harriet Hamsterbone. Harriet and her good friend, Wilbur, team up once again to save the day.

Depending on your point of view, Whiskerella has either been blessed or cursed by a fairy godmother. What matters in this story--and in any story really--is how she herself feels about it. Whiskerella is anything but pleased. She welcomes the assistance of her new friends. Unfortunately, the fairy godmother learns of Harriet's eagerness to help her break the spell...and well...Harriet and Wilbur face some challenges when a spell is cast over them. Can they persevere and still save the day?

My thoughts: This is a twist on the classic fairy tale Cinderella. Whiskerella has little interest in attending balls or marrying royal princes. I enjoyed it--for the most part. But I found it slightly tedious in places. (I would have found even one sentence about lizard pee tedious....let alone it being a running gag throughout the entire novel.)


© 2018 Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

1 comment:

Adriana @ BooksOnHerMind said...

Ooh. Yeah, same with the lizard pee comment. I'm surprised I haven't seen it at my library though. I'm sure kids would love it.