Thursday, November 15, 2018

Me? Listen to Audio?! #42

Miss Mackenzie. Anthony Trollope. 1865. First broadcast on BBC Radio 4 in 2011. Dramatised by Martyn Wade. Directed by Tracey Neale. Starring David Troughton, Hattie Morahan, and Philip Franks. 2 hours.

I had never read the novel, but I couldn't resist listening to this radio drama anyway. I love Trollope. I was hoping that it would be easy enough to follow despite it being new-to-me...and it was...for the first part.

Essentially, it's the story of a young woman, Margaret Mackenzie, inheriting a LOT of money. When she's thought to be a heiress, she's got suitors begging for her hand in marriage. Notably three: Samuel Rubb (a business man), Mr. Maguire (a curate), and John Ball (a widower cousin). But is the money rightfully hers? And are the men "in love" with her for all the right reasons? Will this novel end with wedding bells?

It's a fun, light listen. I enjoyed it. 

© 2018 Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

No comments: