Monday, November 25, 2019

2020 Reading Challenge: #ClassicsCommunity

Name: #ClassicsCommunity
Host: Lucy the Reader (youtube, twitter, goodreads)
Goodreads Group: #ClassicsCommunity 2020 Reading Challenge
Duration: January 1, 2020 - December 31, 2020

My goal: I don't have a set number of books to read throughout the year. But I do have a challenge-y way I want to go about reading classics. My goal is to read one (possibly two or even three) chapters per day. Of course, I will need "grace" days. BUT. If I can manage to read between five to eight chapters per week, I should be able to read a LOT more classics. But perhaps more importantly, I'll stay immersed in a book and enjoy the reading experience more. Despite my "good" intentions, I'm currently reading about three chapters a month in my "current" classic. It's hard to feel I'm currently reading ANY classic when my reading is more accidental than not.

I do want to blend NEW-TO-ME titles with NEW-TO-ME authors all the while not forgetting my absolute favorite and best authors and titles. I am A REREADER. That won't be changing. But I don't want my potential list to JUST be rereading Austen for the seventeenth time.

January
1. Christmas Card Crime and Other Stories. Compiled by Martin Edwards. 2018. The British Library/Poisoned Pen Press. 256 pages. [Source: Review copy] [Genres: Short Stories; Mystery; Classics]
2. The Sobbin' Women. Stephen Vincent Benet. 1937. 26 pages. [Source: Online]
3. Twelfth Night. William Shakespeare. 1601. 272 pages. [Source: Bought] [Play; Shakespeare; Classic]
4. Fahrenheit 451. Ray Bradbury. 1953. 190 pages. [Source: Library] [Classic; Dystopia; Speculative Fiction]
5. Can You Forgive Her? Anthony Trollope. 1865. 847 pages. [Source: Bought] [Classic; Romance; Dysfunctional Families]
6. The Pickwick Papers. Charles Dickens. 1837. 801 pages. [Source: Bought] [Classics; Adult fiction; Travel]

February
7. Persuasion. Jane Austen. 1818. 325 pages. [Source: Bought] [Adult fiction; adult romance; adult classic]

March
8. Vanity Fair. William Makepeace Thackery. 1847. 867 pages. [Source: Bought] [Classic]

April
9. A Journal of the Plague Year. Daniel Defoe. 1722. 336 pages. [Source: Bought] [classic]
10. Howard's End. E.M. Forster. 1910. 246 pages. [Source: Bought] [classic; adult fiction]

May
11. Martian Chronicles. Ray Bradbury. HarperCollins. 1958/2006 edition. 268 pages. [Source: Library] [science fiction; short stories; classic]
12. Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day. Winifred Watson. 1938. 234 pages. [Source: Library]
13. Miss Mackenzie. Anthony Trollope. 1865. 432 pages. [Source: Bought]

June
14. The History of Henry Esmond, Esq. A Colonel in the Service of Her Majesty Queen Anne. William Makepeace Thackery. 1852. 528 pages. [Source: Bought] [dull books; classic; Victorian literature]

July
15. The Virginian. Owen Wister. 1902. Penguin Classics. 370 pages. [Source: Bought]

August

September

16. Jane Eyre. Charlotte Bronte. 1847. 532 pages. [Source: Bought]

October

17. The Children of the New Forest. Frederick Marryat. 1847. 369 pages. [Source: Bought]

November

December 

18. David Copperfield. Charles Dickens. 1850. 882 pages. [Source: Bought]

19. A Christmas Carol. Charles Dickens. 1843. 96 pages. [Source: Bought]

20. North and South. Elizabeth Gaskell. 1855. 521 pages. [Source: Bought]

Her video about the challenge:


The #ClassicsCommunity is an Internet-based reading group and challenge for anyone who loves classics or wants to read more of them. You can set your own goals -- or take part in the baseline challenge to read at least 12 classics during the year -- such as 'read 3 Victorian classics' or 'read 25 classics during 2020' or 'read 5 Russian classics'. The number one aim is to have fun!

In the first two weeks of January (Wednesday 1st - Wednesday 15th) the #Classicsathon will return to kickstart your classics reading year! Create your own Classics TBR and read as many classics as you can during the first fortnight of the year.



© 2019 Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Excited to see your progress! I'm going to create a shelf for myself on Good Reads. My goal is 12 classics (1 per month) and rereading all of Jane Austen's novels for a total of 20 classis in 2020! Looking forward to following your progress on the blog.