Tuesday, November 05, 2019

A Fatal Grace

A Fatal Grace (Chief Inspector Armand Gamache #2) Louise Penny. 2007. 311 pages. [Source: Library]

First sentence: Had CC de Poitiers known she was going to be murdered she might have bought her husband, Richard, a Christmas gift.

Premise/plot: This is the second mystery in the Chief Inspector Armand Gamache series set in Quebec, Canada. Three Pines is a small, super small, village that is about to have another murder. In the first book, the murder victim was an incredibly sweet and kind old woman. In this one, not so much. In fact it wouldn’t be out of place if a couple dozen munchkins jumped out and started singing. The mystery happens during the holidays in December. I believe the murder occurs on Boxing Day.

My thoughts: I really loved the first book. I liked the second one but didn’t love it. I enjoyed the detective aspects of it but not the set-up. I love Gamache. I do. So I will probably keep up with the series and hope for better with the next one.

The language is not clean, this one had some language that bothered me. If the first book did too, I was so busy being swept up by the story I didn’t pause long enough to notice.

© 2019 Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

No comments: