Friday, November 06, 2015

Waddle! Waddle!

Waddle! Waddle! James Proimos. 2015. [November] Scholastic. 32 pages. [Source: Review copy]

First sentence: Yesterday was the best day ever! I met a spectacular dancer! He's my new best friend. But then I lost him.

Premise/plot: The narrator of Waddle! Waddle! is a penguin. He "found" a friend only to "lose" him. This new friend was a great dancer. The penguin tries to find him again, but, the two penguins he meets don't even know how to dance. One sings. One blows a horn. They prove themselves to be good friends in the end. Will he ever find his dancing friend?

My thoughts: Penguin doesn't recognize his own reflection. He is his own new friend with the amazing dance moves. I liked the repetition of this one: the waddle, waddle, belly slide. And the simplicity of the story worked for me in some ways. But I can't say I liked the illustrations. (Though it may just be the yellow eyes keeping me from liking it. I'm not sure.)

Text: 3 out of 5
Illustrations: 3 out of 5
Total: 6 out of 10

© 2015 Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

No comments: