Tuesday, November 28, 2017

What's On Your Nightstand (November)

The folks at 5 Minutes For Books host What’s On Your Nightstand? the fourth Tuesday of each month in which we can share about the books we have been reading and/or plan to read.
CSB Spurgeon Study Bible, Holman Bible Publishers (B&H). 2017. 1840 pages. [Source: Gift]

I am tracking my progress here. But I am LOVE, LOVE, LOVING this one.

Uncle Tom's Cabin. Harriet Beecher Stowe. 1852. 438 pages. [Source: Bought]

This was my Classics Spin for the Classics Club. Definitely recommended.

The Librarian of Auschwitz. Antonio Iturbe. Translated by Lilit Thwaites. 2012/2017. 424 pages. [Source: Library]

This is an intense read. But very good so far. Dita is a fourteen year old librarian. There are eight physical books that they are keeping hidden from the Nazis. And there are also "living books" in the collection. People who are books--stories--because they are so familiar with the original. 

Prairie Fires: the American Dreams of Laura Ingalls Wilder. Caroline Fraser. 2017. 640 pages. [Source: Review copy]

I only have one complaint: the chapters are super-super-super-long. But this one is packed with information and does a great job of putting her life into the context of American history. In fact, I'd say this one is part history textbook. But it's all good. I love history!

The Soul's Conflict and Victory Over Itself by Faith. Richard Sibbes. 1577-1635. 362 pages. [Source: Bought]

I am LOVING Richard Sibbes.

An Exposition of Psalm 119. Thomas Manton. 2025 pages. [Source: Bought]
Thomas Manton is another Puritan I love and adore. I've read the first 67 sermons in this one. I'm blogging through the sermons one by one.



© 2017 Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

No comments: