Wednesday, September 12, 2018

Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus

Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus. Mo Willems. 2003. 40 pages. [Source: Library]

First sentence: Hi! I'm the bus driver. Listen, I've got to leave for a little while, so can you watch things for me until I get back? Thanks. Oh, and remember: DON'T LET THE PIGEON DRIVE THE BUS!

Premise/plot: Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus is the first book in Mo Willem's Pigeon series. Pigeon is Pigeon. To know him is to love him, perhaps?! He addresses readers directly and proceeds to argue! In this one he's trying to persuade you to let him drive the bus.
I'll be your best friend! How 'bout I give you five bucks? What's the big deal!? It's just a bus!!! No fair! I bet your mom would let me. I have dreams, you know! Fine. 
This one earned a Caldecott Honor in 2004.  

My thoughts: Mo Willems is a must-read author. He's created several super-successful series. Pigeon is one of them. Elephant and Piggie is another. I love, love, love, love, crazy-love his Elephant and Piggie series. But I do love Pigeon. I recently read that there will be a new Pigeon book next year!

Text: 4 out of 5
Illustrations: 4 out of 5
Total: 8 out of 10


© 2018 Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

No comments: