Monday, September 10, 2018

So B. It

So B. It. Sarah Weeks. 2004. 288 pages. [Source: Library]
First sentence: If truth was a crayon and it was up to me to put a wrapper around it and name its color, I know just what I would call it--dinosaur skin. I used to think, without really thinking about it, that I knew what color that was. But that was a long time ago, before I knew what I know now about both dinosaur skin and the truth.

Premise/plot: Heidi It is the narrator of Sarah Weeks' So B. It. Heidi is on a mission for the truth. She's looking for clues about her mother's past. Specifically she'd love to know what SOOF means. Her mother has a vocabulary of only twenty-three words. Most of the words, Heidi, and her next door neighbor, Bernadette, know. But SOOF is elusive. Bernadette is content not knowing. Heidi is not. The way I see it, not knowing SOOF is just the last straw for her.

Heidi follows clues found on an old roll of film. Those clues will lead her on a road trip--a bus trip--across the country. Bernadette couldn't accompany her even if she wanted to (and she doesn't). Bernadette doesn't leave her own apartment. Will Heidi's quest give her the answers she needs?

My thoughts: So B. It is beautifully written but definitely bittersweet. I loved, loved, loved Heidi. I thought she was well developed. Whether Heidi was talking with Bernadette, her mother, or a stranger on the bus, I just wanted to reach into the book and give her a hug. There is a hopeful innocence combined with incredible resilience in Heidi.

I reread So B. It because Sarah Weeks has recently published a companion book SOOF.

© 2018 Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

1 comment:

Dora said...

https://usabookreviewers.com/ helped to launch my suspense novels by gathering reviews and generating a buzz !