Saturday, March 23, 2024

34. You've Been Summoned


You've Been Summoned. Lindsey Lamar. 2024. 376 pages. [Source: Library] [adult mystery, adult fiction]

First sentence: Wear your best costume and tell your worst secret....you've been summoned.

My thoughts (preview): This one definitely requires some suspension of disbelief. But if you go with the flow, you might get caught up and forget how unrealistic it is. 

Premise/plot: YOU the reader are being asked to go through the files of a case and make a recommendation to the police on who to arrest for the crime. The files are unusual--hence why you will need to suspend your disbelief. You'll have access to the INTERIOR thoughts of Jane--the sister of the victim of the crime. These are "Jane's Recount." They are not an interview. They are not diary or journal entries. You'll have access to a diary of a woman (another twin) Mary who lived in 1940s at this same house. There are amateur interviews conducted by Jane, and professional interviews conducted by the police. There are physical documents/evidence--notes and letters found on the scene. There is digital evidence as well--text messages, etc. There is a "call transcript" from 911. YOU the reader are being asked to sift through these files and make your best educated guess as to who, how, and why. 

After you have made your recommendation, the author lets you know what really happened and how it all played out. In other words providing the "correct" answer to your amateur detecting. 

My thoughts: Technically, I don't find the premise believable. BUT all that aside, I found it great fun. I did find it an engaging/compelling read. I read through the first file folder in one sitting. I read the other nine file folders in one sitting. I found it that gripping. 

Did I guess right? Yes. Did I arrive at my conclusion reasonably and logically piecing together all the clues and evidence? No. The ending lists out all the clues that point to the right answer. I missed most of them. Because they required a lot of reading between the lines, noticing what was missing or going unsaid; things that should have been present or accounted for but weren't in other words. I wasn't randomly guessing, mine was more of a following my gut.


 

© 2024 Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

No comments: