Monday, September 16, 2024

71. Not Nothing

71. Not Nothing. Gayle Forman. 2024. 288 pages. [Source: Library] [MG Historical Fiction] [3 stars]

First sentence:  Let me tell you a story. Actually, it's two stories, one you will recognize and one you won't. One is about me and you. The other is about the boy. But it's also about me. And about you. I know. I'm not making sense. I'm 107 years old. It goes with the territory. Forgive me my meanderings.

Premise/plot: Alex, aka "the boy," has an opportunity--or "opportunity" to change direction in his life--as appointed by the court. He'll be doing time--community service--at Shady Glen Retirement Home. He's reluctant, as you might expect, in part because everything that could be going wrong in his life has gone wrong and is continuing to go wrong. Nothing is going his way. As he's doing his service, he forms a bond with a resident, the 107 year old narrator, Josey (aka Josef???) who hasn't spoken in years (in fact those that work there thought he was unable to speak.) He tells the boy his life story--primarily focusing on the second world war. Meanwhile, there's things happening at Shady Glen and he's becoming friendly with others as well. 

My thoughts: Definitely an almost. The premise seems like it would be an absolutely perfectly perfect fit for the kind of book that I would love. I love intergenerational stories. I love stories with a strong focus on friendship...and stories with a strong focus on storytelling. Yet I had a hard time connecting with any of the characters. This might be ALL on me. Reading is subjective. This might be a little well everyone (and their dog) is saying that this is the best book of the year so therefore I can get contrary at times when a book doesn't live up to the hype. Or it could be merely the timing of when I read it. 

The narration did not always seem cohesive to me. I found myself slightly confused at times. Never knowing if I'd dropped the plot and spaced out for a few pages or if the book was written in a disorienting way. I also thought the narration wasn't constant; that is a horrible way to describe it. But if the narrator is stuck in his room AND/or he's stuck at Shady Glen 24/7, then I think he knew too much and the focus was too wide for it to be truly his perspective. I would have almost preferred third person omniscient. It was also weird for me--personally--that the narration continued after the character's death. I also thought the "big reveal" of the crime was a little clunky in that wouldn't Shady Glen have known ahead of time????

 This one just didn't sit "as right" with me as I wanted it to. Again, I thought it would be a book that I absolutely loved and I ended up in a very meh place. 

--This one is being called
timely
timeless
book we all need
perfect
life-affirming
mind-expanding
heart-wrenching

© 2024 Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

No comments: