Thursday, April 09, 2009

BTT: Numbers Game

btt button

For something different, I’m borrowing a question from … here! One of the very first questions ever at Booking Through Thursday. Back from 2005 when Laura owned the blog but, because it was so new, it didn’t get as many responses as it does now … so, why not revisit?

Here’s the question:

Some people read one book at a time. Some people have a number of them on the go at any given time, perhaps a reading in bed book, a breakfast table book, a bathroom book, and so on, which leads me to…

  1. Are you currently reading more than one book?
  2. If so, how many books are you currently reading?
  3. Is this normal for you?
  4. Where do you keep your current reads?
I almost always am reading more than one book. Especially if you count Bible reading. But even if you don't, I'm always in multiple books anyway! So really it's semi-irrelevant. :)

I'm almost always in at least one YA book. Sometimes two. Sometimes three.
I'm almost always in an adult book. I receive books from Sourcebooks, TOR, and HarperCollins. So I almost always have something going. Or else I have a book or two by my bed that I *should* be starting. (I don't have contacts with some adult publishers).
I try to have a classic nearby as well. Sometimes this classic counts as my adult read of the moment. Sometimes it's an extra.
I always have a Christian book going--either fiction or nonfiction.
I try to have my bag of library books nearby as well. Sometimes library books count as YA or adult. Sometimes as a classic. Sometimes just as a challenge read.

So that's automatically three books any given day.
I like my books to be of varying lengths too. I enjoy starting books that I can finish in one day. But I like having longer reads too. Books that I can read over two or three days. Or books that I can spread out over six or more weeks like good old Don Quixote.

I keep my current reads and about-to-be-current reads on the floor by my bed. Sometimes this is a stack of five or six books. Sometimes the stack is a bit more dangerous (trip-worthy) and has fifteen books or so. Though at that stage not only is their a danger of tripping but of having a book accidentally pushed under the bed in which case it might not resurface for awhile. This could be unlucky if it's an ARC and I can't find it...but it can be dangerous if it's a library book. That happened once with an interlibrary loan book that I could have sworn I turned in...only to discover it about eight or nine days later....you guessed it...under the bed.

© Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews
If you're reading this post on another site, or another feed, the content has been stolen.

5 comments:

Nise' said...

I'm reading multiple books too.

Debi said...

Sheesh...even reading multiple books you sound so organized. Well, except for maybe the library book under the bed thing. :) I always have multiple books going, too...but I really wish I didn't. Because unlike you, it seems to take me forever to finish anything this way. (Yes, I do realize that's really because I'm a pathetically slow reader, but I like to have something else to blame it on.)

Deanna Gibbons said...

I always have my library book near me at home too! The library has been my favorite place ever since I was a kid and it will always be my favorite hangout. We go every Saturday so I always have a big bag full. And I always have books that I am reviewing. I am always reading my Bible, then I usually have a fiction and a non-fiction.

Robin M said...

I've tried reading more than one book, but it doesn't work too well for me. One is enough. I wish I could read more than one and keep them all straight in my head. With me reading one book and day and you reading several over a few days, we probably finish the same amount of books in the same amount of time. Perhaps - perhaps not. Good question. My post is up.

Beth Kephart said...

As always, I am immeasurably impressed. I am at the moment just reading one small book, on this rainy Easter Saturday, Chloe Aridjis' Book of Clouds. So very interesting and absorbing. A morning's read.