Wednesday, May 20, 2020

69. Hunting November

Hunting November. (Killing November #2) Adriana Mather. 2020. 368 pages. [Source: Review copy]

First sentence: When I was a little kid and people asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up, I gave them all sorts of wild answers. I told a teacher I wanted to be a couch potato so I could spend my days snuggled up under blankets in the living room. I told my best friend Emily’s mom I wanted to be a cookie taste-tester because that’s what Emily wanted to be. And I told my dad I wanted to be a knife so I could cut my grilled cheese sandwiches in two perfect triangles instead of the four dinky squares he always prepared. Of course this answer earned me raised eyebrows and an explanation about how a girl is a living, breathing thing that can be cut; and a knife is a sharp piece of steel that does the cutting. But now that I’ve discovered most of my childhood was a lie, I’m starting to think my younger self was onto something with the knife answer. Because in the past few weeks at Academy Absconditi, I’ve come as close to being a knife, or being stabbed by one, as anyone can get.

Premise/plot: Hunting November is the second book in the series. (Will there be a third? Or did this second one end tied up with a pretty bow? I haven't decided if there's a *need* for further adventures in this world...or not.)

November Adley has left the boarding school and has teamed up with Ash, her not-really-official boyfriend. Other former classmates may make an appearance as their quest--yes, QUEST continues. They are looking to find her father and get some answers. What they find...well...that's something else indeed.

There are plenty of twists in turns in term of plot. If by twists and turns you mean the characters are always on the move and finding themselves in intense situations. I don't know that readers will be on the edge of their seats. I'm not sure that "twists and turns" equal complete and total surprises for the reader.

My thoughts: I didn't love it. I didn't hate it. I wasn't bored. I wasn't thrilled. I read this one in one or two days. That's something, right?! It wasn't so much that I HAD to keep reading because I just had to know what happened next. But I was determined to read it since I'd just finished the first book in the series. It's so rare that I pick up a second book and actually actually remember all the characters and exactly what is going on. I wasn't going to let that opportunity pass me by.

I could see this type of book being adapted into a television series for the CW. I could. Especially if the focus is on the boarding school aspect of it. I think that is where this series shines best. But I didn't regret the wider, global setting.

My biggest issue with the books are the flashback scenes. They are convenient for info dump, no doubt about that. But they feel a bit off from the actual action. 


© 2020 Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

No comments: