Thursday, August 03, 2023

140. Lucille Ball Had No Eyebrows


Lucille Ball Had No Eyebrows. Dan Gutman. (Wait! What? series) 2023. [May] 112 pages. [Source: Library] [nonfiction; elementary nonfiction]

First sentence: Hi, everybody! My name is Paige, and this is my little brother, Turner. 

Premise/plot: Two kids--siblings--provide a framework (is it supposed to make the book more appealing????) in a nonfiction biography of Lucille Ball. These two kids are "presenting" readers with interesting-fascinating facts about her life and her work. They interject themselves throughout the book--but not heavy-handedly, I guess. They're there, but not obnoxiously there. (That being said, I didn't personally want them there at all.)

So it is in part a basic, straightforward biography. But it also goes out of its way to be quirky and odd. It seeks to share details that are more obscure, more "interesting," more unique. (Hence the "clickbait" title meant to intrigue.)

My thoughts: I liked this one. I did. I do hope that Lucille Ball continues to be appreciated by each generation. I did learn a few new things about her life.

 

© 2023 Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

No comments: