19. The Goodness of God in the Gift of Scripture. Uche Anizor. 2026. 224 pages. [Source: Review copy] [Christian nonfiction, theology, 5 stars]
Century of Viewing #30
1950s
- 1954 Creature From the Black Lagoon I'm glad I watched it. Fairly predictable. People--mainly scientists, mainly men--making poor choices and stubbornly sticking by those choices. It would have been a MUCH shorter movie if someone thought through things logically.
1960s
- 1965 Planet of Vampires There are no vampires. Just angry Martians that possess the bodies of these astronauts. It was okay.
- 1966 The Singing Nun I love Debbie Reynolds!!!! This isn't my favorite of her movies. BUT it was definitely worth watching! It is a bio pic. It is based on a true story of a singing nun, Jeanne-Paule Marie Deckers. Dominique is certainly catchy.
1970s
- 1970 The Phantom Tollbooth I really, really, really enjoyed some scenes of this one. I found others to be less so and more taste-specific. Still I am glad to watch this adaptation. Still quotable. It did drag on a bit too long or I got sleepy. One or the other.
1980s
- 1981 Stripes I would have preferred an "edited for TV version" perhaps. It was a little crude. HOWEVER it was also quite funny in places. (And not the crude places.) I am glad I watched it. Still prefer the much cleaner No Time for Sergeants. Definitely not my favorite Bill Murray either. However, What About Bob? and Groundhog Day are definitely among my favorite, favorite, favorite movies.
1990s
- 1999 Blast from the Past I absolutely LOVE, LOVE, LOVE, LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this romantic comedy. Adam grows up SHELTERED to say the least. But when he does meet his Eve, his world is turned upside down in the BEST WAY POSSIBLE. I love the characters, the music, the story. Highly recommend.
2000s
- 2001 Evolution It was mildly decent. I think it tried a little too hard to be funny. Anyway, meteor crashes to earth bringing alien life that will soon multiply and threaten the world.
- 2006 Idiocracy Did I absolutely love every joke??? No. Was it very quotable? YES. I could have done with a little less crudeness. HOWEVER, that fit with the whole premise of the movie. Not Sure was definitely a good 'hero.' The premise??? Two 'average' (dispensable) people are frozen in a military experiment. They were supposed to awake one year later, but, they are woken up 500 years later. These 'average' people are now THE most genius minds in the world.
- 2009 Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs I liked it. It was weird and quirky and I still don't love the animation style. BUT it was an entertaining story for sure. Definitely one lesson could be there can be too much of a good thing.
2010s
- 2010 Megamind I had low expectations. I enjoyed it probably because of those low expectations. Or at least in part. I definitely ended up feeling more than I thought I would.
2020s
- 2026 Teach You a Lesson I loved, loved, loved this k-drama!!!! Think 21 Jump Street meets the Matrix. A team goes into school (some members of their team go undercover as students, some become substitute teachers) to uncover crimes and injustices against both teacher and students. Most episodes are stand-alone. But some of them definitely go together. And the story they tell is cohesive. Everything is building up until that last episode. This one has ALL the feels. Extremely emotionally intense. BUT so well done!!!!!
© 2026 Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

No comments:
Post a Comment