Saturday, October 03, 2026

Week in Review #41

This week I read some books!


65. Westfallen. Ann Brashares and Ben Brashares. 2024. 384 pages. [Source: Library] [5 stars] [MG speculative fiction, MG science fiction, MG dystopia, TIME TRAVEL, alternate history]
70. Turtle with a Toolbox. Beth Ferry. Illustrated by Dudolf. 2026. 32 pages. [Source: Library] [picture book, 3 stars]
71. Cheeky Book of Bear Butts. Jonathan Fenske. 2026. 36 pages. [Source: Library] [picture book, 3 stars]
72. The Secret Life of Dog Toys. Kelly Dipucchio. Illustrated by Jennifer Harney. 2026. 40 pages. [Source: Library] [picture book, 4 stars]
73. Starman: The Cosmic Voyage of David Bowie. Matthew Cordell. 2026. 48 pages. [Source: Library] [nonfiction biography for young readers, 3 stars]

Century of Viewing #41

1950s
  • 1953 It Came From Outer Space Was it new and thrilling and exciting and original in 1953? Maybe. Maybe not. It is according to wikipedia the first 3D from Universal International. A couple is stargazing when a "meteor" lands (it's rarely a meteor) and they discover an alien spaceship. But first contact may or may not go well. It was okay. Obviously I didn't watch in 3D. And so no 'fantastic sights' leapt at me.
  • 1957 Beginning of the End Giant LOCUSTS threaten Chicago in this 1950s sci-fi horror movie. Is it over the top ridiculous? YES. Did I enjoy every minute of it? YES.

1960s
  • 1963 X: The Man With X-Ray Eyes A little too much for me--visually. (Pun intended). It had its lighter moments--when he first discovers his ability to see through at a dance party. (He's terrible at the twist). But this scientist drama is very much into the mad scientist playing god camp. He is the only cause of all his suffering. It has vibes of Invisible Man and 57 Seconds. BUT I'm not sure any lesson was learned at all.

1990s
  • 1990 Home Alone My first time watching Home Alone. Would I normally watch a Christmas movie in September? Probably not. Well, depending on the year. Some years anything goes. But it is most likely leaving Roku (it's currently free) by the end of the month. I enjoyed this one SO much more than I thought I would. Favorite scene was Kevin in church. Probably.

2000s
  • 2003 Elf  I liked it more than I thought I would. Buddy the Elf learns that his father is on the naughty list...so he goes to meet the man he's never met. His adventures are many.


Alphabet Challenge Week #1

A
B Beginning of the End (1957)
C
D
E Elf (2003)
F
G
H Home Alone (1990)
I It Came From Outer Space (1953)
J
K
L
M
N
O
P
Q
R
S
T
U
V
W
X X: The Man With X-Ray Eyes (1963)
Y
Z

© 2026 Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

No comments: