Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Sarahs' Ground (MG)

Sarah's Ground. Ann Rinaldi. 2004. Simon & Schuster. 192 pages.

My older sister, Fanny, put me in a closet once when we were children. She, being the elder, had her reasons, I suppose. 

Sarah's Ground opens in the spring of 1861. Our heroine, Sarah Tracy, is a young woman with a unique opportunity. Having lied on her application, she's been hired by a preservation association (or society?) to oversee Mount Vernon, George Washington's home. The estate isn't in the best condition, and, it needs some attention, some care, to restore and preserve the legacy of this historic home. Sarah Tracy is the woman for the job. And this novel focuses on the first year of the War Between the States as she fights for Mount Vernon to remain neutral--to remain safe from both armies.

I thought the story was interesting. While I didn't love this one, I was never bored by it. I may not think it the best book ever written about the Civil War, but I did think it worth the read. I learned a few things I didn't know, for example. And so I would recommend it to fans of historical fiction, of the civil war era in particular. As historical fiction, I think it works, as a romance, not so much. So it depends what you're looking for in a book.

© 2011 Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

3 comments:

The Reading Panda said...

Thanks for the review! I think that sometimes authors feel like a romance is mandatory to make a worthwhile plot. Unfortunately, a forced romance plot usually falls short.

Bankruptcy Discharge Papers said...

Now you can get bankruptcy discharge papers instantly online. Get official bankruptcy discharge papers @ $9.99 online. Fast Delivery by email same day within 1 - 6 hours.

Anna and Serena said...

Your review will be featured on War Through the Generations on Oct. 24.