Sunday, April 15, 2012

The Sunday Salon: Mini-Movie "Reviews"

I know I usually only talk about one movie per week, but I've got a couple of movies that I haven't talked about yet.  So I thought I would combine them into one post.

Watch Harold Teen (1934)
  • If you're really bored and are tired of reality TV and repeats of reality TV
  • If you are looking for a good example of a mostly outdated musical
  • If you're interested in the time period, the early 1930s
  • If you are looking for a really early comic book to film adaptation example, though this was NOT the first Harold Teen film, the first was a silent film.
Watch The Prince of Persia (2010)
  • If you believe in giving movies the benefit of the doubt and are willing to take a chance on movies that weren't exactly loved, loved, loved in the reviews. Low expectations can be a very good thing. Because then you can be surprised more often. 
  • If you like action movies with good storytelling and good characterization (Yes, it might take you until the end of the movie to see how everything fits together. But I think the ending is the best part of this movie. Without this redeeming ending, I would not have been satisfied.  I don't know how I can say more without spoiling it. 
  • If you like movies with strong heroines; I enjoyed Princess Tamina because not only was she strong, she was strong with good reason. There was a very, very important reason she wasn't going to let Prince Dastan have the dagger or misuse the dagger. 
  • If you like movies with good supporting roles; I just LOVED Richard Coyle and Alfred Molina. 
Watch The First Grader
  • If you're thinking this is only a feel-good film, you might be surprised at how tough this one is to view. It is so violent in places. As in I had-to-turn-my-eyes-away violent. But that doesn't mean it isn't a good movie. Just know that if you see it, it's going to have some scenes that are disturbing. But essentially, if you can handle the violence, this is a good eye-opening film. 
  • If you want to watch out-of-the-ordinary films that take you away from what you know
  • If the trailer hooks you. All the scenes that make you curious and happy in the trailer are just as good, just as wonderful in the movie itself.
  • If you like watching movies based on true events/real people

© 2012 Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

1 comments:

Amy 2:10 PM  

Wow, the only one I'd heard of is Prince of Persia. I know what you mean about low expectations, though!

Post a Comment

I'm always happy to hear from you! To help fight spam, comment moderation has been set up for posts older than two days. Feel free to ask me questions or ask for recommendations!

Unique Visitors and Google PR Rank

Free PageRank Checker

Pageloads Counter

The background is based on a background I found here...with some small adjustments on my part so it would work with the template.
Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

  © Blogger template Newspaper III by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP