Tuesday, May 16, 2017

The Cat Book

The Cat Book. Silvia Borando. 2017. Candlewick. 32 pages. [Source: Review copy]

First sentence: I'll call my cat: _________. Zzz Zzz. Who's that curled in a ball? Hey, sleepy cat, it's time to get up! Can you help wake him? Call out his name and then turn the page.

Premise/plot: The Cat Book is an interactive picture book for parents to share one-on-one with their little ones. (I say one-on-one because I imagine that it would be difficult to share with a large group of kids as a library or classroom read aloud.) How is it interactive? Children are encouraged to participate: naming the cat, calling out his name, petting him on the back, tickling him under the chin, squishing his fleas, blowing the dead fleas away, sheltering him with a hand so he doesn't get wet, drying him off with a shirt, smoothing down his fur, etc. Every page has something for little ones to do. (All the prompts are in green.)

My thoughts: I like this one. It's creative and unique. There is also a Dog Book.

Text: 3.5 out of 5
Illustrations: 3.5 out of 5
Total: 7 out of 10

© 2017 Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

No comments: