Thursday, January 02, 2020

2. Death's Door

Death's Door. (Billy Boyle #7) James R. Benn. 2012. Soho Crime. 358 pages. [Source: Library] [Genres: Historical Fiction; Mystery]

First sentence: They must be in love, I thought, watching the couple as they danced to a scratchy tune on the Victrola.

Premise/plot: Billy Boyle stars in his seventh mystery. Death’s Door provides a satisfying end to the super cliffhanger that was A Mortal Terror. In that one, Billy discovers in the last few pages that Diana, a SOE agent and possible love of his life, has been captured by Nazis. Is she dead? Is she alive? Is she facing torture? But Boyle’s mission—at least his official mission cannot be to find and rescue her. No, his mission is to go to Vatican City and investigate the murder of a priest, Father Corrigan. As always he is to be super discreet. Can he stay focused on the task at hand and solve the crime before the murderer strikes again? Will he be able to find Diana and save her?

My thoughts: I was so pleased that this one is not a cliffhanger!!! It ties up the messy ending of A Mortal Terror and offers a substantive new mystery as well. The series continues to thrill. I am so glad that I discovered the series and was able to hook my mom as well. She is several books ahead of me now! I don’t doubt for a second she’ll be all caught up by the end of the year.


© 2020 Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

No comments: